Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2007, 12:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
This is a common problem that I have heard a lot and I think that the problem some of the time is that people expect Linux or similar to work as easily and idiot-proof as windows does. This isn't always the case. Often it depends on what your goals are and the type of user you'd like to be...your personal computing style so to speak.

I'm not trying to sway you at all just trying to illustrate that their are so many flavours out there to try. If you're interested in Linux you shouldn't let a couple bad experiences get you down. You just haen't found the one that fits 'your style' yet.

About the only thing that the enlightened one was correct about was the fact that Linux has changed some in the last 10 years...I'm sure he read this someplace else as he was only 3 years old when this were to be true...maybe he had a baby Linux Box in his playpen.

Anyways don't go into it expecting perfection or it to run exactly like windows. Rememebr it is free after all but that doesn't at all mean that it cannot or does not perform...on the contrary...
Oh, I know I wasn't going into it expecting perfection or the same experience as Windows. I was basically just installing them to see what they were like as I've never really used Linux outside of school.

For the most part, they worked fine. Like I said, one or two things wouldn't work on one distro, but they'd work on another (but that other would have different issues). I'm sure there is one (or more) distros of Linux that will work they way I want it to, but I don't particularly have the desire to go through X amount of Linux distros to find one that works when XP, Vista, and OS X (to a lesser degree) already do everything I want them to do.

Just saying that I tried a few and, while they weren't bad, I wasn't sold on Linux based on the ones I tried. I am planning on revisiting Linux on my next PC build, though.
Old November 25, 2007, 12:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
This is in the last year ...

I had used Linux in the past at school (Red Hat), but I never bothered installing it on any of my computers until recently.
Redhat is complete and utter garbage, in fact any distro that uses or relies on .rpm is garbage.

Try Debian and you'll like it a lot more.

The reasoning for this is that Ubuntu and Debian are closely tied together so they are similiar and someone who runs Ubuntu would probably feel pretty comfortable if switched over to a pure Debian system. Those who try to run Slackware or Gentoo are going to run into a few more problems because of things of having to compile or learn to properly use compiling flags and etc from there.

And just so you know qwerty I'm actually 29 and been using linux since late 95 early 96 and have used most of the popular distros: Suse, Redhat, Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Knoppix and Gentoo and have found through my own experience that what I suggest is the easiest way to learn linux. I've also used FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD and other variations such as Posix and Irix (tho will admit to now knowing much for these) so again, I've touched and delved into more linux/unix than a lot of people have and again its all my opinion but I know what I would consider hard and what I'd consider easy and thats why I give that general recommendation.
Old November 25, 2007, 12:29 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Redhat is complete and utter garbage, in fact any distro that uses or relies on .rpm is garbage.

Try Debian and you'll like it a lot more.
I did try Debian (Ubuntu). I also tried Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, and a few others.

And I hate Red Hat so much; I absolutely dreaded using it in class.
Old November 25, 2007, 12:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I did try Debian (Ubuntu). I also tried Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, and a few others.

And I hate Red Hat so much; I absolutely dreaded using it in class.
Most people who use linux will tell you the exact same thing. When I first started using red hat before there was any good "management" for it trying to install rpm files was a royal pain in the ass and I absolutely dreaded using it. Slackware was at least somewhat easier to install stuff because if it didn't compile or the configure file didn't find something it would usually give some indiciation and you'd have to go grab that. RPM files relied on too many switches to install stuff properly and thats where I hated it.

Debian, Gentoo, and I think Slackware all have a good package management system tho I find in Debian the "stable" repository can be a bit dated and you'll have to run the unstable repositories if you want the latest software.
Old November 25, 2007, 12:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Without a doubt, Ubuntu is the most popular desktop Linux distro. It's okay(i prefer others).. i use Kubuntu.. i much prefer KDE to Gnome. My favorite distro (for 3 or 4 years now) is PCLinuxOS.
Old November 25, 2007, 07:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Shadowmeph,

What do you want to do with this new computer you are building?

You say you are using Windows Server now. Switching to a different platform for a server is going to be a lot of work.

You also mention overclocking. The OS is kind of irrelevant for overclocking.
Old December 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect

It may be more relevant than you think. Not all OSes react similarly to the same overclock. Windose Server (I know I misspelled it!) might not take too kindly to a... say 200 MHz overclock but linux might take it like a drunk to a beer. The opposite may be true even. It is relevant. No matter how poorly I explained it, it just is.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For me Sabayon>Kubuntu>Ubuntu (all 64bit of course). Ubuntu gave me issue after issue on my PC. Drivers did not work right, and it was just unstable. Kubuntu worked better, just lacked some of what I wanted. Sabayon was by far the easiest to install and setup. It even preloaded the Nvidia drivers for me. I would advise anyone running Ubuntu/Kubuntu to give Sabayon a test drive. I find it so much nicer to run.

PS: Windows Home server is having some serious issues with file corruption, you might want to rethink that choice.
Old December 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
MVP

For someone just crossing over from the windows world there are a few Distributions I can recommend personally. PCLinuxOS & Pardus linux are excellent examples of distributions that don't necessarily cater to the windows user but are easy to get into anyways.

I performed an experiment where I setup a Linux based (PCLinuxOS) PC at my girlfriends' place almost 10 months ago. I wanted to see how the transition would be for someone who only had experience with Windows os's. She is a typical PC user who likes to surf (Firefox), Instant message (Pidgeon) ,listen to music (Amarok), burn cd's & dvd's (K3b) , hook up her Ipod, ect.

I've only had 1 "Service" call and that was to ask if here Canon digital camera would work. I told her to just plug it into the usb port which she did and Digikam started right up and recognized the camera.

GTKpod and Amarok took care of her Ipod, couldn't get that piece of bloatware called Itunes to work properly on her windows laptop anyways, and for everything else there were no problems.

All this to say that the gloom & doom stories of the "issues" surrounding moving regular users over to Linux is a lot of bunk IMHO. I even recently read a post at another site stating that Linux wasn't production ready. What a joke!

At home I run Windows OS's on one PC and Linux on my server and my other workstation. I couldn't be happier.

P.S. Pardus Linux is a keeper. This is a nicely polished and stable distro with nice features which IMHO is worth a very serious look by anyone using or looking into Linux. I may even change over the box at her place to Pardus to continue my "experiments".
Old December 29, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If I could play games on Linux, I'd never look at Windows again. That is the ONLY reason to not run Linux exclusively, and anyone thinking that Linux us tougher than Windows has never tried it.