Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

problem is the old game.exe is written for 32bit hardware and memory mapping, this why game dont run well on 64bit
Old July 26, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
The article you quote was last updated Dec 2009, very much doubt the writer had a 3TB drive available for testing.

If Seagate stated that their 3TB will not work with any *current* 32-bit OS, unless there's a review somewhere on the drive that showed it will work with 32-bit OS (or MSFT update their software), then what evidence/reason is there to doubt Seagate's statement?
Manufacturers like to just say shit so people will buy random crap.. how do you think things get bought?

"Oh noes my 3TB won't work in a 32bit OS" like wtf. That would be super retarded in so many ways.
Old July 26, 2010, 01:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
problem is the old game.exe is written for 32bit hardware and memory mapping, this why game dont run well on 64bit
Games run very well on 64-bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Manufacturers like to just say shit so people will buy random crap.. how do you think things get bought?

"Oh noes my 3TB won't work in a 32bit OS" like wtf. That would be super retarded in so many ways.
If the drives do work with 32-bit OSes, it would be in the manufacturers' best interests to market them as such because it would give them a potentially larger customer base. They don't gain anything by artificially restricting them to 64-bit.
Old July 30, 2010, 12:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
It's true that manufacturers often claim functionalities in their products that may not work in the real world, but it's rare to find a product that actually works when the manufacturer categorically stated it would not.

I can think of no benefits to Seagate in stating that their 3TB drives will not work with any 32-bit OS. I'm going to take Seagate's statement at face value, unless you can guarantee that the 3TB drive will work with 32bit Windows in their current form, or until someone tested a drive and proved otherwise.
Old July 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The answer is so simple..........64bit.

If you have 4GB, 64bit, if you have under, stick to 32bit for now. Windows 7 64bit is best used on 4GB+.

In 32bit, you might get anything from 2.5-3GB useable, as the rest would be reserved, minus the windows itself, you would have about 2GB left, now this number will vary of course but in my case that is what I get. In 64bit, you can address more than 4GB of RAM, and the limit will depend on your version of windows as well. When going to Windows 7 64bit, now it sees all 4GB of my RAM, so I now have above 3.4Gb FREE to use, that is more than double !!! for that alone it is well worth it. Also does my phenom II x4 965 quad core justice, and my 4GB of RAM justice. SO far I have had no issues at all in 32bit apps and gaming and have no problems with the 64bit drivers either. Might be a problem for some legacy apps and those requiring 32bit drivers. :)