Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2010, 06:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
I remember there was an issue with The Witcher back when it was new that made it crash/act oddly after a set amount of time. This issue was 32bit exclusive though, being on 64bit windows prevented it.

No clue if thats still the case, but its one example of a pro-64bit arguement for gaming.
You've got to be kidding me...
Old July 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
You've got to be kidding me...
No, and it really was an issue. I dont know the specifics or why it worked, just said that it was one argument for 64bit windows.

Really I think the best point is that if you really get into games the ram of the video card(s) you put in + the ram in your computer will go far above 4gb. The more extreme a gamer you are the bigger the issue.
extreme example: 3x480 SLI +4gb of ram
Old July 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've never seen a crash or a blue screen or anything like that happen to Windows since I switched to 64-bit. I used to see loads of it on 32 bit, even 32 bit Windows 7. Lots of blue screens at work with XP 32-bit. Installed Windows 7 32-bit at home for my parents about a month ago and it was blue screening within a day. Reformated with Windows 7 64-bit and I haven't heard a compliant. That's reason enough for me to suggest 64-bit Windows 7 to anyone in the future. Now this could just be pure luck from my point of view. I know very little about programing, but did Microsoft redo a lot of the code for Windows 7 64-bit or something?
Old July 23, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

not sure but i woudl agree i use w7 alot specifically the 64 bit variant and blue screens have been rare for me. Except when the hardware is borked.
Old July 23, 2010, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

Personally, I've been on Win 7 pro 64bit since about Dec 2009 and don't recall having much troubles with programs that I run nor the hardware I have. I haven't run into any BSODs (at least as far as I remember) That's just me though, maybe I've been lucky? Most of the games I play now I get them from steam and they've all worked without any issues.
Old July 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't see any reason not to go with x64 , while most software is still 32 bit I believe it should start to go away . A lot of the comments here are an echo of when we went from Windows 3.11 to Win 95 and the exact same arguments were going on ,the only difference was 16 to 32 bit, look what we gained going to 32 bit and think of what we might gain by going to 64 bit. X64 is mature enough now to run almost all 32 bit software and the stuff it won't run I have found to be bad programs anyhow. I also find it rather odd the number of people I know still clinging to XP when there are so many better alternatives , and yes I am one of the ones that never had or has any problems with Vista X64 .
Old July 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All the computer in my house are on Windows 7 64bits, even the 3 on 4 computer with only 2GB of DDR2 (the fourth being my laptop).

I had no problem, some people say that you might have problem with old program and game, but I don't have any :D

In these condition, I see no reason to still use 32bits.
Old July 23, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I don't see any reason not to go with x64 , while most software is still 32 bit I believe it should start to go away . A lot of the comments here are an echo of when we went from Windows 3.11 to Win 95 and the exact same arguments were going on ,the only difference was 16 to 32 bit, look what we gained going to 32 bit and think of what we might gain by going to 64 bit. X64 is mature enough now to run almost all 32 bit software and the stuff it won't run I have found to be bad programs anyhow. I also find it rather odd the number of people I know still clinging to XP when there are so many better alternatives , and yes I am one of the ones that never had or has any problems with Vista X64 .
As I've stated before..

That statement of 64bit will catch up.. has been said since the days of early P4 computers.. and how much further are we now? Not a shit lot.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
I remember there was an issue with The Witcher back when it was new that made it crash/act oddly after a set amount of time. This issue was 32bit exclusive though, being on 64bit windows prevented it.

No clue if thats still the case, but its one example of a pro-64bit arguement for gaming.
Actually there are similar issues with LOTRO where they recommend a 64Bit OS with High Res Textures and they cover it in the Official Forums. I beleive Age of Conan may also have similar issues and work better on a 64Bit OS although I'm having a harder time confirming that one or where I read it.

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 26, 2010, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You need to do more reading and not listen to manufacturers.

[...]

How to Break the 2TB (2 TeraByte) File System Limit | CarltonBale.com
The article you quote was last updated Dec 2009, very much doubt the writer had a 3TB drive available for testing.

If Seagate stated that their 3TB will not work with any *current* 32-bit OS, unless there's a review somewhere on the drive that showed it will work with 32-bit OS (or MSFT update their software), then what evidence/reason is there to doubt Seagate's statement?