Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2010, 08:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Better question might be which version, right? I might 'upgrade' to 7 (well, buy OEM) but I see no reason not to get just Home Premium 64-bit. Is it just old software that only has XP versions that wouldn't work on it? Is that how it works? I wanted to make that clear. I believe it's the case but want it confirmed. I don't even want to get a 'new' Windows OS (LOL!) but I'm out of XP copies and want a legit copy. I'm giving my old computer to someone so I'm letting them keep the XP on it.

The new build I'm going to have and install 7 (I guess). I can network the two computers and each computer can access to the other (including writing/copying files to and from), right? The differences mostly regard compatible programs? I even read that there were some workarounds for 'XP only programs' or something like that?
With Win 7 pro 64 you can download the Xp mode for free and run it in the virtual mode , you also have compatability mode in win 7 , even my wifes 16 bit dos based digitizing software runs on Win 7 x64 with no problems . I really haven't found anything yet that won't run on Win 7 64 (been using it since betta 6800 )
Old July 1, 2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
With Win 7 pro 64 you can download the Xp mode for free and run it in the virtual mode , you also have compatability mode in win 7 , even my wifes 16 bit dos based digitizing software runs on Win 7 x64 with no problems . I really haven't found anything yet that won't run on Win 7 64 (been using it since betta 6800 )
But, does one really need the 'Pro' version? What are you gaining over Home Premium other than making it easier to run old Windows programs?

A couple of vendors sell the HP version for about $90 so I'd need reason to pay even more to get 'Pro' which allows more 'compatibility' with XP? Home Premium often comes on mainstream consumer laptops so I was thinking it's probably enough for me. I don't use any really old Windows apps but I just need 7 and XP to co-exist between computers. :)
Old July 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If you have a 64-bit capable system (as basically everything is nowadays), there is no reason to use a 32-bit OS.
well said.

is it just me, or is zero growing up?
Old July 1, 2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
is it just me, or is zero growing up?
Yeah, I just turned 12 last week.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:53 PM
Banned
F@H

if your games/apps work in 64 bit why not.
Old July 1, 2010, 05:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if your games/apps work in 64 bit why not.
Many programs are still 32-bit, but thanks to magic they can still work on 64-bit Windows. Only 16-bit software does not work.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

YOu have 8GB of RAM so you have to get 64Bit to use all that.

Why Ultimate? Waste of money paying for features that you will NEVER use. Home Premium is all you need.
Old July 2, 2010, 05:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Many programs are still 32-bit, but thanks to magic they can still work on 64-bit Windows. Only 16-bit software does not work.

This was almost quoteable Zero

IF you have that RAM already, go 64bit for sure. Home Premium though is proabably your best bet.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

With compatibility mode in Win 7, 64bit system will be almost transparent, so there is no even decision to be made.
Old July 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its threads like this that have really kept me quiet around because to many people are pushing stuff and talking more out their ass than anything.

People have been saying "64bit is the way to go" since Windows XP x64 came out and how far in progress have we really made? Very little.

Very few games support more than 1 processor let alone 2 and most applications aside from a few rare take advantage of 2 let alone 4.

Most software is also written in 32bit code so it doesn't take any advantage of 64bit or extra memory you have.

The only thing running a 64bit OS is gonna do for you is allow you to see 8gb of memory instead of 4gb of memory.

And just because 8gb of memory is so cheap doesn't mean its needed.