Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Speedfan, Coretemp. Does it matter, they are all reading from the same sensor (on-die).
Old June 29, 2010, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, how they interpret the data from the sensor matters. It's not on a 1 to 1 scale. Thus the preference for a calibrated program like Realtemp.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For Nehalem and latter calibration isn't necessary anymore. TJMax (in fact TJTarget) is written in CPU MSR so no more guess about it.
As for using RealTemp or CoreTemp is a matter of personal taste. Knowing unclewebb I prefer RealTemp of course. :)
Old June 29, 2010, 09:30 PM
Banned
F@H

everest all the way
Old June 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Actually, how they interpret the data from the sensor matters. It's not on a 1 to 1 scale. Thus the preference for a calibrated program like Realtemp.
It is a 1:1 scale. Real Temp can be somewhat calibrated for idle temps, but those are worthless anyway. As far as useful temperature measurements go, all monitoring programs read the distance to Tjmax straight from the DTSes and extrapolate the temperature based on that and the known Tjmax values. The reason Real Temp is generally considered the best is because it uses the "most accurate" estimated Tjmax values for older 65nm Core 2 CPUs for which Intel never released specific Tjmax values. However, for anything newer, the true Tjmax values are known, so it doesn't really matter which program you use. It all comes down to the UI you like the best.