Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Windows Server 2008 Guest access question

So I've installed Win Server 08 on my machine, installed File Services and all, added my Shares.

When I check on my desktop I see my server in the network, but anytime I click to open it it asks for a login. It works if I input my Administrator + password but how would I go to make it that Guests can read and write to the server without the need of a login?

If you guys can point me towards a guide I'd appreciate. Seems my Googling skills are off this morning.

Thanks
Old June 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Did you set the proper permissions on the shares? Is this windows home server or are you on a domain or what?
Old June 23, 2010, 10:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

its not home server. i'm not on a domain but simply on my home network.

i've put the permissions on the shares to admin has full access, guests has read and write.

but to access the server on the network it asks for a login, thats what i want to get rid off.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

because there is no domain, the server will always ask for credentals...

If your login account on your guests PC lines up perfectly with an account created on the 2008 server, then there will be no asking of usernames and passwords.

i.e.

guest PC's username/password are: fred/oranges
server 2008 has a user account created with the following username/password: fred/oranges

when FRED accesses the server; he wont be prompted for credentials. ANYONE else will be prompted.
Old June 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
i've put the permissions on the shares to admin has full access, guests has read and write.
NTFS permissions also comes into play. Unauthenticated or user accounts without passwords is logged on at the server as "Guest", thus unless the shares have at least a NTFS Read permission for the Everyone group you'll be prompted for credentials.

Vista and W7 make it difficult to grant permissions to Everyone with the system folders, so if those are the ones you're sharing you'll have to use authenticated logons (identical account and password) as the previous poster suggested.
Old June 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Alright, thx guys!