Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Rebuilding Computers. Need to Reinstall Windows?

Ok so I'm going to be rebuilding at least 2 computers and I need some help. First, I'm going to change my Core 2 setup to a AMD Phenom II setup. Only the CPU and motherboard will be changed. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Windows. Is this possible?

Next, I'm going to rebuild my sister's AMD Athlon X2 setup and replace it with a Phenom II setup as well. This time, the ATI X850XT will be gone as well since the motherboard has integrated graphics. Again, can I avoid having to reinstall Windows?

I understand that there may be some slight driver conflicts, so reinstalling Windows is the best route. However, if I uninstall the drivers properly and run driver cleaner, then all should be well correct?
Old June 20, 2010, 10:09 PM
MVP
F@H

Computer 1) You'll probably have to reinstall since you're switching from Intel to AMD. I made a switch last year and windows was quite slow as a result. Although it will work, but it would be worthwhile to reinstall.
Computer 2) As long as the motherboard is the same you won't have to reinstall anything.
Old June 20, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not too sure but when i did a motherboard swap (Gigabyte 770T to a Gigabyte 785GT), I didn't have to reinstall windows. But i did have to update the drivers (obviously)..

-Plato
Old June 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Motherboard is different as I'll be going from a ASUS M2N-E to a Gigabyte GA-MA785-UD3H on my sister's rig.

I hate rebuilding...
Old June 20, 2010, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What ver. of Windows? Windows 7 is a LOT more forgiving as far as hardware swapping goes. However, my rule has always been: "if the motherboard is changed, reinstall Windows". Almost anything else you can negotiate around relatively easily; but there's too many hassles involved to justify NOT reinstalling when swapping MB's.

Just my 2 cents anyway...
Old June 21, 2010, 01:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Windows XP would most likely require a repair install, but after that would work perfectly.

Windows 7 I would expect to see it boot up and just work....
Old June 21, 2010, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
First, I'm going to change my Core 2 setup to a AMD Phenom II setup. Only the CPU and motherboard will be changed. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Windows. Is this possible?
Unless you have transferable Windows licenses, MSFT's interpretation of the EULA is that a new license is required when you change mobo and cpu. Though some may interpretation said EULA differently...

If the systems and HDDs are more than 3 years old, I'd tend to put in new HDDs and reinstall everything. The newer higher density/platter HDDs will be substantially faster, and you'll also clear out all the junk that's been left behind after the years of usage, and there's a smaller chance of failure (though HDDs are pretty reliable nowadays), anyways, HDDs are cheap.
Old June 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

how did it go Geokilla? did you reload windows or try to fight the operating systems with major hardware changes?
Old June 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was able to run Windows fine, though it didn't take me too long to reinstall it.

I switched from Intel to AMD on the same hard drive, and everything ran fine surprisingly. I was even able to come onto the forums and make a post or two haha. However it was buggy and slow, so formatting was the way to go.
Old June 29, 2010, 04:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for the follow up. The time it takes to re-load win7/vista these days it's by far the easier and most effective way to go. Trying to avoid re-loading the OS is generally... um.. inefficient.