Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

I've always done it myself. My last/latest setup is a dedicated grub partition... I have it handle the booting duties... I have five distros to choose from plus Windows XP.

I plan on having Linux on one drive and Windows 7 on another drive (preferably a SSD) when I redo things, though. :)

Well, the 'Linux drive' will be the current one, 320GB HDD, and I'll just leave the XP partition which is relatively small (30GB?) and I'll change the other partitions so that one is about 100GB and that'll be my new Ubuntu 10.04 install...

I haven't used Wubi before...didn't really think it's needed.

Just get an old computer and install Ubuntu a few times with different configurations until you get familiar with it. If you want Windows with it, dual boot and try installing in both orders although a Windows installed-first and then Ubuntu, works best. I think a dedicated drive system will be even easier ultimately which is what I will experiment with next. Have another 'Windows' computer handy that has an internet connection for potential problem solving. :) Anyway, that's my advice....
Old June 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very good advice technix. Wubi sets it up like a vm machine?
Old June 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
Very good advice technix. Wubi sets it up like a vm machine?
yes it does... its quite nice although when i did it the updates mucked up my computer a few times... so be careful..
Old June 12, 2010, 09:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
yes it does... its quite nice although when i did it the updates mucked up my computer a few times... so be careful..
It's not a VM.
Old June 12, 2010, 09:14 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

It is not a VM. It does create a type of virtual partition within a NTFS partition (inside a folder you specify), but then it automatically downloads the latest (or near latest) version of Ubuntu and installs it in that virtual folder. When you boot your computer, you get a choice between Ubuntu and Windows like you would if you created a partition.

You cannot run both at the same time, as you typically would in a virtual machine setup...you boot into one OS or the other,
Fold for team #54196
Old June 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks chris i can see this becoming handy.