Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows N Keys Work With Normal Windows? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/33029-windows-n-keys-work-normal-windows.html)

geokilla June 9, 2010 03:52 PM

Windows N Keys Work With Normal Windows?

Do Windows 7 Home Premium N and KN license keys work with Windows 7 Home Premium and Home Premium K? These files and keys are all from my Technet subscription.

Zero82z June 9, 2010 04:20 PM

I'm pretty sure they do not.

sswilson June 9, 2010 05:40 PM

N is just the version that ships without media player isn't it (Made to comply with EU rulings on bundling the media player)? If so.... install it and use windows update to install media player

JD June 9, 2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 389153)
N is just the version that ships without media player isn't it (Made to comply with EU rulings on bundling the media player)? If so.... install it and use windows update to install media player

That is correct, however I'm unsure whether or not you can use the key on a non-N disc.

In theory though it should work, just that WMP wouldn't be installed.

geokilla June 9, 2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 389153)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 389162)
That is correct, however I'm unsure whether or not you can use the key on a non-N disc.

In theory though it should work, just that WMP wouldn't be installed.

According to Wiki, yes they just lack WMP. Reason why I'm asking is because I have a bunch of N keys here untouched from TechNet, and it'd be pretty troublesome if they can only be used on the N discs.

Neolithium_Wpg June 9, 2010 06:20 PM

Unless things have changed recently it won't work. I remember accidentally using an N key for an install of Home Premium (Both from Technet); it got the invalid key for the product selected.

geokilla June 9, 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg (Post 389170)
Unless things have changed recently it won't work. I remember accidentally using an N key for an install of Home Premium (Both from Technet); it got the invalid key for the product selected.

That sucks... Thanks for the info.

sswilson June 9, 2010 07:19 PM

Don't you still have your access to the N download?

geokilla June 9, 2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 389194)
Don't you still have your access to the N download?

Yea, but 60GB bandwidth a month can only go so far. Last month I had 20GB remaining and I forgot to use it up. This month, I already used 15GB.

sswilson June 9, 2010 09:18 PM

Heh.... you only have to dl it once.... ;)