Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Question would use a upgrade vista. make my xp cd useless

i like to know what fact, and what friction

i just just got a new computer in June and it came with xp home sp2 full, and there reason i need a new computer was my MOBO on old computer die on me and on that computer i run xp home ( before sp1 and sp2 ), i use a xp upgrade ver from 98se

ok my question, the web full of site saying that if you upgrade xp to vista, you can no long use that xp on you computer any more, even if you do not like vista

her is some of what a lot of site are writing

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

\now is that true or not--- would use a upgrade vista. make my xp cd useless

i sure wish MS would clear this point up

Old November 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IDK but if you are putting Vista on any system I would highly suggest a clean install as opposed to an upgrade ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 21, 2007, 12:27 AM
Allstar

FYI, unless you have a dual core CPU, 2+ GB of RAM, and a decent GPU, it's not worth upgrading to Vista, IMO.

And, yes, it will disable your XP CD-Key unless you follow certain steps (google Vista Upgrade Install) ...

and, w/ the upgrade version, you still have the option of a clean install ...

Personally, I'd just pick up an OEM copy and do a dual boot (assuming your system meets said requirements stated in the first line) ... It's cheaper and you always have the option of using XP if/when you want to ...