Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   hehe ^ 17 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/32816-hehe-17-a.html)

m1dget June 3, 2010 03:29 AM

hehe ^ 17

Taken from slashdot for my own (and probably other people's) amusement.

Slashdot News Story | Google Reportedly Ditching Windows

One thing to say about this: :rofl:

Arinoth June 3, 2010 04:11 PM

Yeah, they are trying to push their OS more. From a support standpoint they should only be running google os. That would be like microsoft or apple running their competitions software at a corporate level.

Jake_HT June 3, 2010 05:32 PM

Well that was hilarious?

ilya June 3, 2010 05:38 PM

Android was meant for smartphones, Chromium was meant for netbooks/tablets, they don't have anything of their own to develop off of.

They're still a long ways from successfully dumping Microsoft, it's like a bad marriage ending up in a long drawn out divorce.

m1dget June 3, 2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake_HT (Post 386731)
Well that was hilarious?

Not the story itself is hilarious... it's the lil battle going on between those two giants :P

(...and the funniest part being MS trying to defend itself about how secure it is :haha:)

DCCV44.2223 June 4, 2010 12:36 PM

Don't want to start an OS war but in this case where it's a case of state sponsored cracking (allegedly... :whistle:), it doesn't really matter what OS is used. Even if the OS is "secure" you'll still have to worry about all the apps, no software has ever been totally bug free, the only real advantage Linux has over Windows 7 is that it defaults to a restricted user account.

Here's one view on the state of things from a CansecWest participant:

Pwn2Own 2010: interview with Charlie Miller |oneITsecurity

Perineum June 4, 2010 03:04 PM

It's well known that Apple's security is a joke, so I don't know why this thread is so "hilarious"

JD June 4, 2010 05:09 PM

I think this: Fudzilla sums up my thoughts.

Windows is merely targeted because its the most widely used OS worldwide. However at the same time, MS is pretty quick at fixing security problems and security software for Windows is pretty darn good.

Linux and Mac don't really have any security software, and the ones that do exist are still in their infancy. As such the protection offered, doesn't match the Windows counterparts.

Assuming Windows is properly configured and there isn't some daft user in front of the machine, I'd say Windows is pretty darn secure. For the acronym lovers, PEBKAC.

ilya June 4, 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 387170)
Windows is merely targeted because its the most widely used OS worldwide. However at the same time, MS is pretty quick at fixing security problems and security software for Windows is pretty darn good.

Don't you remember how bad XP was? It took them 2 service packs and years to get the security loopholes fixed, even the most competent user couldn't run w/o security software if they didn't want non stop popups. Don't even get started on Vista. But in light of that 7 hasn't been as ridiculously slow in terms of obvious security fixes.

JD June 5, 2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 387190)
Don't you remember how bad XP was? It took them 2 service packs and years to get the security loopholes fixed, even the most competent user couldn't run w/o security software if they didn't want non stop popups. Don't even get started on Vista. But in light of that 7 hasn't been as ridiculously slow in terms of obvious security fixes.

I never had any virus/malware problems with XP...

I stand by the fact that it's entirely up to the person using the PC.