Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Default [fixed] Left my PC for 3 days and Win7 screwed me over.

FINAL UPDATE (within the hour of thread creating FML) - reseated the frickin card and it works now. Thank god for the creation of larry and sergey... I read a suggestion of reseating the card on a different forum, lo and behold windows 7 decides to recognize my card again. Yes I installed my card correctly lol. I didn't touch anything when I left it for 3 days, came back and it just wouldn't cooperate, only reason I can think of now is that there was an earthquake in Toronto that my parent's didn't tell me about.

I left my PC for 3 days with the surgebar flipped off, but the network cable still connected. I returned just now, and I was horrified when Win7 loaded up at 640x480, and the nvidia driver wasn't recognized anymore by micro$h1t windowz. What to do? I don't want to reinstall windows, and windows currently won't let me install the nvidia driver. My (stable) overclock remains intact, so I'm fairly certain that it is not the mobo battery running out during these 3 days.

update: I've narrowed it down to a software issue. Other OS'es that have been coded properly recognize my gtx260 just fine. Here's what windowz sees:
Attached Images

Last edited by 0o0; May 22, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:55 PM

My System Specs

Sounds more like either videocard drivers issue or the videocard itself. I don't think it has anything to do w/ Windows personally.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

well I'm typing on this very computer right now... no artifacts or anything. Device manager says it's some generic vga adapter thingy. the gtx260 is warm, fan's spinning, everything (except the display) is working fine. Could it be possible that the cpu or x58 is rendering the graphics and is porting it through the gtx260? I know that sounds really dumb but desperate times calls for desperate measures... I'm very certain the gtx260 is not the culprit, it has never shown any signs of trouble at all.

update: ubuntu 9.10 recognizes my gtx260 just fine and suggests the appropriate driver. This narrows it down to a software culprit, and I've got my finger pointed at microsoft right now. I don't have any AV other than common sense and mywot addon for FF, which I think is quite sufficient. Is there any way to force a nvidia driver install? Is there some way to select gtx260 as the primary?

Last edited by 0o0; May 22, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

Get your drivers from there.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search