Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Default IE7 fails to load new pages when multiple tabs are open

I have been puzzling over a problem on our home computer for some time now and would like see if this august audience can assist. The patient is a newly built PC with a fresh copy of WinXP Home SP2 and IE7. All Microsoft patches are installed and no updates are outstanding.

Symptoms: Google a topic in the first tab and then ctl-click on a link from the results to open a second tab. More than 80% of the time, three bars appear in the progress display ot the bottom of the browser window and then the second tab pops a "Page Not Found" error. Click on refresh and the page is immediately available.

In about 50% of the cases, clicking on a search results link to open in the same tab also results in a "Page Not Found" which clears immediately on a refresh.

It almost seems like a slow responding website is not getting enough time to respond before IE7 is declaring a page error. (The progress bars at the bottom only go part way across.)

Fix Attempts:
I suspected a browser add-on to be the source of the problem so ran IE7 with all add-ons disabled. The issue disappears. There are a ton of add-ons visible via the add-on manager but I can't tell whether they are problematic or not. Thinking that I have some kind of malware issue, I ran through a cleaning cycle with SPYBOT, McAFEE, ADAWARE and other utilities. All came up clean.

BTW - I don't get this problem with any of the 3 other machines using the home network and sharing the broadband connection.

Suggestions?
Old November 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

ummm, you have already sourced the problem...add-ons.

i don't know anything about IE because of various reasons so i don't even know what an add-on is but can make an educated guess. i am also not sure if you can disabled these add-ons one at a time but if you could, that is the obvious way to find out which add-on is causing the issue. seems pretty straight forward to me. if you can't disable the add-ons one at a time then it gets a little tougher but there must be a way to at least remove them one at a time. after all, they are "add-ons". therefore by definition of their title, removable...yes? no?
Old November 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't disable them one at a time. Disable roughly half initially. If you still have the issue then you know it must be in the half you left and if you don't have issues you know it is the other half. Either way, you have just eliminated half in one go and that saves time.
Anyway, just keep disabling half of the problematic groups as you go along and pretty quickly you can narrow it down to the one that is causing problems even if you have hundreds.

I suppose another thing to watch out for is two conflicting with each other but it is not hard to handle that if you divide them all into groups and testing different combinations. After finding what two groups conflict one can use the elimination method mentioned above.