Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Default Ubuntu Help

I posted this on the Ubuntu Forums about a week ago and have not had any help so I thought I would try here :)

I did some browsing on how to install Ubuntu on fakeraid and was unable to find a resource that addresses my situation. What I would like to do is install Lucid on my computer so that Windows 7 is my primary OS and I can dual boot into Ubuntu on my non-OS drives at will. I think this sounds fairly confusing.

I have the following setup:

2xSSD in RAID 0 Games_OS (my OS RAID)
2xHDD in RAID 0 Games_Storage (my Storage RAID)
1xSSD not in RAID (Game drive)

Basically what I would require is that I can install Lucid on my Games_Storage RAID. Upon opening up a terminal, I notice that Ubuntu already has my RAID set as active.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dmraid -ay
RAID set "isw_cdadahbihg_Games_OS" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage" already active
RAID set "isw_cdadahbihg_Games_OS1" already active
RAID set "isw_cdadahbihg_Games_OS2" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage1" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage2" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage5" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage6" already active
RAID set "isw_ifjaefbad_Games_Storage7" already active

I have a set amount of space reserved for Ubuntu on my storage drive and I would like to build my sub-partitions within that area to house my Linux install. I am using the LiveCD install method.

I am stuck at the Prepare installation screen and I do not want to risk wiping anything to get my install done. I have attached a screenshot to show where I am at in the process:

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old May 7, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would backup all data and use PartEd Magic to do any partition resizing with that. Normally you shouldn't lose data, but you're using ntfs on a fakeraid so I'd be extra careful.

If you don't get your answer here, make a new post on Ubuntu forums and do not bump it. There's a professional support team that checks threads that go unanswered for 24hrs.

EDIT: didn't notice you wanted Windows 7 as the primary OS, I honestly don't know how to do that with GRUB, it'll overwrite your windows MBR if you install Ubuntu after windows, but if you install windows after Ubuntu, you'll have even more issues.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A great place to go to ask Linux questions is LinuxQuestions.org - where Linux users come for help when ever I have had questions they usually are answered within an hour there
Old May 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

I think it would help to determine what the drives are designated as...examples include sda, sdb (2nd drive), sdc (3rd drive) and so on.

I don't know about how raid factors into this but if two drives are considered sda1 and sda2.... ?????

Second, I think it sounds like you want Windows remaining on one drive, your OS drive, which you use RAID with and you want Ubuntu on the other drive or using two drives for that and the other two OS drives in RAID with Windows installed there.

I doubt I can be of any help since I have no experience with RAID drives.

But, this page might give an idea of the basic configuration and you then need to apply it to a RAID setup:

Installing Ubuntu and XP on Separate Hard Drives | Ubuntu Georgia Local Community Site

When and if I upgrade to Windows 7, I want Windows and Ubuntu on separate drives myself. It makes it easier when you need to reinstall one of the operating systems. It's okay to 'mess up' an install but one doesn't want to wipe out an OS if it was unintentional. Still, it's a good idea to backup data on any OS and/or have copies of the data on 'storage' drives in case of any problems.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Edit: I noticed your screenshot shows 'sde.' I am guessing the designations you have are sda, sdb, sdc, sdd and sde so drives 1 to 5, respectively. The sde drive is the 'fifth drive' so you need to know which one that is and then you will figure out what drive you can install to. You could boot up an Ubuntu LiveCD and run gparted and see what partition/drive is what. Just don't 'okay' or enable any change. That is, don't make any changes and don't 'okay' any changes. It's just for examining your drive/partition setup.

While you're there, you can also check what the output is of 'fdisk -l.' Start a terminal console and type 'sudo fdisk -l'...

Anyway, I hope that helps in some way.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post

Anyway, I hope that helps in some way.
Well he's banned so we'll never know
Old May 10, 2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Well he's banned so we'll never know
Oh? Well, can he read the posts?
Old May 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

offtopic but what is with all the members getting banned in the last little while? he he the mods change over and a whole bunch get the whack just kidding. is it really that hard for people to be civil to one another
Old May 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
offtopic but what is with all the members getting banned in the last little while? he he the mods change over and a whole bunch get the whack just kidding. is it really that hard for people to be civil to one another
And let me respond. I've banned 2 members since I was asked to become a moderator. One who was harassing others through PM's, and the other who told me last night that he wanted his account placed on a permanent ban. His decision, not mine.

We'll always try to talk to someone who's not following the code of conduct, and give a warning or infraction as the case warrants. A ban is the last thing I want to hand anyone here.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
And let me respond. I've banned 2 members since I was asked to become a moderator. One who was harassing others through PM's, and the other who told me last night that he wanted his account placed on a permanent ban. His decision, not mine.

We'll always try to talk to someone who's not following the code of conduct, and give a warning or infraction as the case warrants. A ban is the last thing I want to hand anyone here.
Was he getting through a 'internetz' addiction 12 step cure or what?