Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2010, 03:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Zapping W7

i had W7 installed on too small a partition and there was not enough space for it to breathe as it should, so i installed W7 on a larger partition.

i would like to know what to do to format that partition so i can use it for other things.
if i right click on the "C" icon and on "format", i says it can't do it.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old May 1, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to go into disk management and see the partition there and then delete it or just reformat it. That said you should not be wiping the C drive as that is your main windows partition.

If you right click on the C drive and select properties it should have the size of the larger one you installed it to.

Old May 1, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I assume you installed Windows 7 twice to the same hard drive? If so, you may want to watch out because the bootloader may be on that first (smaller) partition. You can check this by seeing if there is a <drive letter>:\boot folder in the drive. If the smaller partition has the \boot and the larger one does not, you may be better off doing the install again, or you'll have to try to restore the bootloader (an activity that I fail 50% of the time ).
You may be in luck if the installer gave you the little 100-200MB partition at the beginning of the drive, in that case the bootloader is there and you shouldn't have issues.

In either case, I'd back up everything before trying to mess with this, or you can end up destroying both installs.
Old May 1, 2010, 05:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i did try, in disk management, to delete it or reformat it, but it did not work.

this former install of W7 was on C, E is on the same HDD.
i installed the new W7 on a different HDD, where i made a partition for this new install; this HDD has D and G, of which G is for the new W7.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old May 1, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unplug power to c/e and reboot d/g will be prime dive relabled c: D: probably reconect c/e and reboot. D/G should be primary and you can wipe C/E drive but I wouldent leave it there as a back up boot drive. YouTube - What is TRIM and Why Does Your SSD Need It? Linus Tech Tips YouTube - Windows 7 install and SSD upgrade on Cameraman's PC (NCIX Tech Tips #65) Watch LINUS tech tips vids informational