Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Default Windows 7 and Office

Okay, this might be a strange question and the comments might be a bit odd but I am hoping for some opinions. I am anti-MS as you get but I'm looking for some work related to computers and I need to be up to speed on Windoze. So far I only have XP and let's face it, it's getting long in the tooth. It is looking so outdated these days. I am really really trying hard not to move to Windows 7 but the OEM 64-bit ver. is what I'm considering. I just don't know if I should invest in this and it's supporting MS. I have bought XP online, on ebay, in the past, and at a reduced cost and the seller insisted it was not installed or registered. It was a legitimate copy supposedly. But, I had a XP copy come back with Activation messages but the product key of the legitimate copy I bought would not work. I could not install XP with this copy either so I got scammed. I hate fleabay sometimes! Okay, most of the time.

So, I don't want to fool around so I'm just debating whether to bite the bullet and get 7. I use OpenOffice but I'm not so sure about the compatibility to MS Office. I probably need to know Excel and Word up, down and sideways so I doubt knowing OpenOffice is enough. Comments on that? Is MS Office 2010 going to have improvements over 2003 and 2007? I was told by an Office user that 97 is the best but that is old as the hills?!? I should still have that someplace...

Anyway, I'm a Linux and XP user but not an expert at either although I like to believe I can hold my own. The question is whether I should invest in 7 and how do I without supporting the big bad monopoly Mikeysoft?!?

The only other software I'd really like to have/get is Photoshop CS3 or CS4 but it's super expensive. I might have to passs on that one.... <cough, cough>

Do you find Windy 7 essential and are businesses moving to it yet?
Old May 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I probably need to know Excel and Word up, down and sideways so I doubt knowing OpenOffice is enough. Comments on that? Is MS Office 2010 going to have improvements over 2003 and 2007? I was told by an Office user that 97 is the best but that is old as the hills?!?
I haven't used Excel and OO Calc enough to comment on the use of that, although I can see that at least some formulas are different between the two. I went from Office Word 2003 to OpenOffice Writer 2/3, then to Office Word 2007, and now I use OpenOffice Writer and MS Word 2007 depending on which OS I happen to be using in my dual boot setups. I know the company where I am doing my co-ops was transitioning to Office 2007 last year, but it's yet to be seen if anyone will jump on board to Office 2010.

One thing about going from OOo to MS Office 2007 (or even Office 2003 to Office 2007) is that Ribbon UI. If, as you suggest in your post, that you'll be dumped in front of a M$ workstation and asked to pound out a professional-looking document in Office 2007 or 2010, you'll want to get used to the Ribbon so you're not yelling at it and struggling at it at your work. That has a little learning curve (mostly consisting of trying to figure out how the MS devs want you to do your work, and clicking the options randomly). I don't know how much the price tag of Office Home and Student edition will affect you, but I think you'll want to get used to the UI of Office 2007 in some way or another if you're to be productive with it.

Quote:
I'm not sure about businesses moving to it just yet (as a side note, at my work there was one lone Windows Vista computer that was used to see how incompatible it was), but I find myself more productive with Windows 7 / Vista than XP. I also like the added security of the UAC (although the fans of disabling the aforementioned feature will probably flame me on that one).

The little things like the start menu with the search bar, Aero snap, and SuperFetch if you're not using an SSD allow me to launch applications and set up my "workspace" much more quickly when I'm doing research or writing a report with a web browser to the side. I feel pretty crippled when I use a school workstation with Windows XP, as I watch the HDD struggle to launch my applications, then I have to drag the windows around. (again the SuperFetch argument is void if you have a V-raptor, SSD, or equivalent).
Old May 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would NOT buy Office 2k7 at this time. Office 2010 is basically out (its on technet right now) and will be out to the gen public in another month or three. Office 2k10 offers some nice little nifty features like 64bit support (GREAT for large arse excel documents), but even if you decide against 2k10 and go 2k7....2k7 will be cheaper in the near future where it is now "old" and "obsolete" (not really but you know what I mean).

I personally have only started playing with 2k10 so I cant comment much on the improvements over it compared to 2k7, but I would seriously hold off purchasing for a little while longer and see what deals come down the old pipe. MS usually does put out deals on their older software when new is released....and sometimes introductory offers on the new too. Which is win-win for you IF you can hold off. :)

As for win 7. I was a die hard XP fan who HATED Vista. I refused to use Vista...but now I run almost entirely on win 7 64 bit. It really is a good OS and is a worthy successor to XP. Now with that being said....it will probably be SP2 (or at least SP1) before any business even looks at it. From an Admin POV: Why upgrade if XP still is "good enough". I'd personally go for win 7 on home systems and get used to it as it is the way of the future. Hell the SSD support it has makes it a worthwhile investment ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 1, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I would NOT buy Office 2k7 at this time. Office 2010 is basically out (its on technet right now) and will be out to the gen public in another month or three. Office 2k10 offers some nice little nifty features like 64bit support (GREAT for large arse excel documents), but even if you decide against 2k10 and go 2k7....2k7 will be cheaper in the near future where it is now "old" and "obsolete" (not really but you know what I mean).

I personally have only started playing with 2k10 so I cant comment much on the improvements over it compared to 2k7, but I would seriously hold off purchasing for a little while longer and see what deals come down the old pipe. MS usually does put out deals on their older software when new is released....and sometimes introductory offers on the new too. Which is win-win for you IF you can hold off. :)
Just to let you and everyone else know if you buy Office 2007 now you get a free upgrade to 2010 when it is public.

I have been using 2010 since its alpha build and I can say that it is better and slightly faster than 2007. The UI is almost the same as 2007, so if you know that you shouldn't have any issues with 2010, only a few little changes.

Quote:
Well I know that at my work we are, sort of. We are moving all of our office staff to win7 and we are moving all of our lab machines to win7 as well. Then add to that every new machine purchased by profs that we know of has had win7 since release. Basically we are pushing Win7 as much as we can. I know we are doing a bunch of upgrades on various machines it so far everyone has liked it. Most of them are moving from XP. I can think of just over 30 systems right now off the top of my head that are getting upgraded to Win7 within the next month.

Also we have installed it on old P4 machines with 2GB ram and people comment how it is running quicker than their previous XP.

All I know is I have had it at home and work since beta and I just hate sitting at an XP machine. Let's face it that OS is basically 9 years old. It is just not made for the hardware we have now. Not to mention installing it is so much better than XP, I almost forget about drivers as it find most of them for me.

Old May 1, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Windows 7 and Office 2003 for me. I went with Windows 7 for the SSD trimming mainly. SSD functionality aside, Windows 7 is much nicer to use than XP. Some of the added features are quirky and 99% of people would never use them, but certain things like taskbar preview and weather gadgets are invaluable. I also really like the improved photo utility for grabbing pictures off my camera, separate volume controls for every application, and Windows 7 themes. As far as Office goes, 2003 has everything I need, and I can do things faster than in 2007 due to the layout. 2007 is good for people that need large buttons and signs telling them where everything is.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; May 1, 2010 at 07:26 PM.