Old April 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Speed up Windows 7 boot. [MYTH]

See: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post368092

Original Post:

I learned a few things today.

1) Until fairly recently, Windows 7 only utilized one core when it booted. (Gay! )

2) Microsoft added the ability to increase the amount of cores windows uses. (Awesome! )

So for those who don't already know:

Start> enter in msconfig in the "search" box>boot tab>advanced options>check number of processors> select how many cores (physical and logical) you have.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; April 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Info is incorrect
Old April 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

My System Specs

From everyone else (including mine) I never found this helped boot up time at all.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
From everyone else (including mine) I never found this helped boot up time at all.
In the bios; no. Since your system will use them all.

Where it helped me was right as Windows 7 started to load I was able to shave 4 and a bit seconds off. My gadgets and programs snapped in a lot quicker etc.

It's no ultimate fix but I can tell a difference.

I just really, need to go shell out and get an SSD lol.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Encorp , 2 words ; SSD time
Old April 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is not true, it is a myth.

Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use all available cores during boot up. The only thing this setting does is determine the maximum amount of processors/cores. So basically you can set it to 2 on a quad system and it will only use 2. But if you do not check it, it will still use all the processors/cores you have.

Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig - Within Windows

Myth: Speed Up Windows 7 Boot Up Time

Can a ?Secret? CPU Setting Really Improve Boot-up Time? TuneUp Blog about Windows

There supposedly was an article on the Microsoft KB (KB959233) that said Windows was only using 1 core. This article was removed due to the fact that the statement was false. This setting is really only there as a debug option. Also one other reason not to do it, is the fact that some people have reported major issues just booting after setting this.

Old April 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 to above
Old April 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
This is not true, it is a myth.

Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use all available cores during boot up. The only thing this setting does is determine the maximum amount of processors/cores. So basically you can set it to 2 on a quad system and it will only use 2. But if you do not check it, it will still use all the processors/cores you have.

Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig - Within Windows

Myth: Speed Up Windows 7 Boot Up Time

Can a ?Secret? CPU Setting Really Improve Boot-up Time? TuneUp Blog about Windows

There supposedly was an article on the Microsoft KB (KB959233) that said Windows was only using 1 core. This article was removed due to the fact that the statement was false. This setting is really only there as a debug option. Also one other reason not to do it, is the fact that some people have reported major issues just booting after setting this.

Awesome! Thankyou. I actually spent a lot of time this afternoon trying to find anything at all on this; and I could not. I did not use the term "myth" in my search and so I actually couldnt really come up with anything to say there was anything wrong with the feature.

I had also read about it on technet so I figured it was totally safe.

Anyways, maybe i should change the title of my thread to HOW NOT to speed up windows 7? hahaha
Old April 23, 2010, 07:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Or "How to trick encorp"
Old April 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha that works too!
Old April 23, 2010, 07:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post

Anyways, maybe i should change the title of my thread to HOW NOT to speed up windows 7? hahaha
Try changing the title....
Fold for team #54196