LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Speed up Windows 7 boot. [MYTH]

See: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post368092

Original Post:

I learned a few things today.

1) Until fairly recently, Windows 7 only utilized one core when it booted. (Gay! )

2) Microsoft added the ability to increase the amount of cores windows uses. (Awesome! )

So for those who don't already know:

Start> enter in msconfig in the "search" box>boot tab>advanced options>check number of processors> select how many cores (physical and logical) you have.

Last edited by encorp; April 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Info is incorrect
Old April 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

My System Specs

From everyone else (including mine) I never found this helped boot up time at all.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
From everyone else (including mine) I never found this helped boot up time at all.
In the bios; no. Since your system will use them all.

Where it helped me was right as Windows 7 started to load I was able to shave 4 and a bit seconds off. My gadgets and programs snapped in a lot quicker etc.

It's no ultimate fix but I can tell a difference.

I just really, need to go shell out and get an SSD lol.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Encorp , 2 words ; SSD time
Old April 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is not true, it is a myth.

Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use all available cores during boot up. The only thing this setting does is determine the maximum amount of processors/cores. So basically you can set it to 2 on a quad system and it will only use 2. But if you do not check it, it will still use all the processors/cores you have.

Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig - Within Windows

Myth: Speed Up Windows 7 Boot Up Time

Can a ?Secret? CPU Setting Really Improve Boot-up Time? TuneUp Blog about Windows

There supposedly was an article on the Microsoft KB (KB959233) that said Windows was only using 1 core. This article was removed due to the fact that the statement was false. This setting is really only there as a debug option. Also one other reason not to do it, is the fact that some people have reported major issues just booting after setting this.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 to above
Old April 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
This is not true, it is a myth.

Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use all available cores during boot up. The only thing this setting does is determine the maximum amount of processors/cores. So basically you can set it to 2 on a quad system and it will only use 2. But if you do not check it, it will still use all the processors/cores you have.

Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig - Within Windows

Myth: Speed Up Windows 7 Boot Up Time

Can a ?Secret? CPU Setting Really Improve Boot-up Time? TuneUp Blog about Windows

There supposedly was an article on the Microsoft KB (KB959233) that said Windows was only using 1 core. This article was removed due to the fact that the statement was false. This setting is really only there as a debug option. Also one other reason not to do it, is the fact that some people have reported major issues just booting after setting this.

Awesome! Thankyou. I actually spent a lot of time this afternoon trying to find anything at all on this; and I could not. I did not use the term "myth" in my search and so I actually couldnt really come up with anything to say there was anything wrong with the feature.

I had also read about it on technet so I figured it was totally safe.

Anyways, maybe i should change the title of my thread to HOW NOT to speed up windows 7? hahaha
Old April 23, 2010, 07:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Or "How to trick encorp"
Old April 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Haha that works too!
Old April 23, 2010, 07:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post

Anyways, maybe i should change the title of my thread to HOW NOT to speed up windows 7? hahaha
Try changing the title....
Fold for team #54196