Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default Windows activation lock out?

I recently helped a friend reinstall his windows XP for him with correct CD key, but he didn't have a ethernet card at the time so we couldn't do activation for his XP. Right now its been 30 days and he's locked out of windows completely. Normally we would either do the phone in activation but this time is different as he's stuck at the login screen with a window that reads like below.

{This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate windows now? Yes No.}

We've tried both options even when its networked/connected to internet but it doesn't work. I tired to boot into safemode but no luck.

Anyone got any tips to solve this issue without having to wreck WGA as this is a legit copy, and he uses it for his business.

Thanks in advance, I read up a lot of different solutions but they all point towards some kind of workaround that requires editing the registry/safemode boot up.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Microsoft has a call-in activation center whose number should pop up when the online activation fails.
Old April 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

I tried to do the Activation Center, but all it does is let me change CD key on the COA sticker, the problem with that is I am using the one key with the problem in the first place. So due to my friend not activating his PC in time, Microsoft may have flagged his Key as pirated. Oh headdesk
Old April 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btecanada View Post
I tried to do the Activation Center, but all it does is let me change CD key on the COA sticker, the problem with that is I am using the one key with the problem in the first place. So due to my friend not activating his PC in time, Microsoft may have flagged his Key as pirated. Oh headdesk

How they can flag the key if you not connect to the net.
Old April 22, 2010, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

Ok I finally figured out the problem. So when I was connected to the LAN here, the windows system failed to detect network. I had to use a simple bypass by pressing windows key and U, and then open up an IE browser, and then fix connection. After that I was finally able to get the system to go online and get activated. Is it too much to ask to have windows get their WGA working properly so that I can actually go online to do it, I mean there's nothing to hide if you're using a real copy of windows. I had to resort to backdoor technique to get a connection going....