Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2007, 02:19 PM
Allstar

Default Stupid "puts PC into low power state..." is crunked

Whenever I use the button that in xp means SHUT DOWN, the circle with the I in the middle (or power switches) it shuts down ok, but absolutley will not start up properly, the PC turns on into the no display, all fans on full blast screwed up mode that I have to hard (read un plug) reboot to get out of...

I built this rig myself, and it is my first experience with vista, but never had anthing like this before???

Why didnt they make that button be SHUT DOWN, its not like this comp takes 20 min to boot up from cold...
Old November 2, 2007, 06:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Typical S3 State Sleep mode issue with the Gigabyte boards. If the board goes to "sleep", there are issues when waking up.... if you wish to shut down your computer, don't use the "power" button (it puts the computer in S3 state by default.). Next to it are 2 icons: a lock an a triangle. Click the triangle and select shut down.

John
Old November 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had this issue when I first ran the DQ6 board, and there isn't a good way to turn off the S3 sleep mode, however I found that disabling video off for sleep mode in bios (same screen as the S3 mode) made the issue go away, and I haven't had a problem since. (Let me know if you can't find what I'm talking about and I'll drop into bios to get a better description for you).

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old November 2, 2007, 07:37 PM
Allstar

There should be an arrow pointing to the right that red button that, when pressed, will give you a list of power options including shut down.

The reason MS made the red button sleep instead of shut down is probably because Vista takes much longer to start and shut down than XP did on most computers. If you have a fairly high-end rig, though, I find Vista's boot/shutdown time is fairly reasonable.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
Allstar

ha, forgot to subscribe to this post and missed the responses!

I changed it so the "shutdown" button actually shut it down, not hibernate... kinda forget how I did it now, found it by accident digging around in the menus, its in there, much better...

Should I pick the other option, not s3 suspend to ram, the other one?

Truth told my comp boots up in under a minute, so who cares I guess, thanks for the ideas though, still be nice if it worked...
Old December 5, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have this issue with my 680i as well - surprised to see how common it is.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Control Panel\Power Options
>Change Plan Settings
>Change advanced power settings
>Power buttons and lid
>Start menu power button

In there you can change the action of the red button which technically is a power button symbol but by default puts Vista to sleep.
Old December 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Default Shut down button

Hello all:
What I did was created two icons on the desk top one to shut down and one to reboot,
easy to do. Right click on the desk top click new shortcut, type shutdown.exe -s -t 000
(-t = time to shutdown in milliseconds I set mine to 000) then choose the icon you want.
To reboot change -s to -r works great for me, one click to reboot or shut off.
Sixer
Old December 18, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks- and welcome to the man from PG! The columbus still operating? ;-)
Old December 18, 2007, 09:03 PM
Rookie

WoW how do you know the Columbus? Ya its crackhead and stripper heaven. I don't go
but my friends love it, lots of drinking and fighting going on. I'll save my money(for a big screen) and teeth by staying home. Love the forum, not much Canadian content on the net so I was pleased to find this place, lots of very useful info to be had here.
Keep up the good work...

Sixer
JEEP_THE_PLANET