Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
Top Prospect

Exclamation GRUB won't let me boot!

I'm getting GRUBS error something about filesystem and the grub rescue.

This is what happened: My PC has had Win7 and Ubuntu side by side on a 1TB HDD. Now I've been using an SSD for the past couple of months so I ignored my ubuntu partition. Now I tried to create a 3rd partition on my HDD (from my Windows Partition) and now I get that error above.

Please help

Last edited by Z Overlord; April 13, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to try to get GRUB working again, try this guide from the Ubuntu forums:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...RECOMMENDED%29

Personally, I like being able to use the WINDOWS bootloader to start Linux (given that Windows needs a lot more restarting than Linux does!). If you want to go that route, use a Windows 7 install CD (or a recovery disc, if Windows made you generate one) and use the repair options so you can get WINDOWS starting again. Then you can use the guide here to use the Windows bootloader to launch GRUB: Using Vista's Boot Manager to Boot Linux and Dual Booting with BitLocker Protection with TPM Support - Port 25: The Open Source Community at Microsoft
Old April 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the easiest way to fix this is by using a live distro of linux and then going into grub and changing it there are a few places that can tell you exactly how to do this like Linux.org . I would explain how to do it but I am very rusty with my Linux but I do remember that it is very easy to fix
Old April 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post

This is what happened: My PC has had Win7 and Ubuntu side by side on a 1TB HDD. Now I've been using an SSD for the past couple of months so I ignored my ubuntu partition. Now I tried to create a 3rd partition on my HDD (from my Windows Partition) and now I get that error above.

Please help
This sounds like it might be easy if I'm interpreting your problem accurately. I might be mistaken but I think when you created another partition in Windows, you might have changed your partition sequence.

If it's not that, you can still inspect your grub settings like the other poster suggested. Which ver. of Ubuntu are you using? Ubuntu 9.04 still uses the Grub 0.97 or Grub Legacy system so if you are using Jaunty (9.04), you can check your grub file at:

/boot/grub/menu.lst

If you are using Karmic or Ubuntu 9.10 or beyond, Ubuntu is using the newer Grub system, 1.97/1.98 (Grub 2). You can fix Grub by using the Grub config command.

I haven't used Grub 2 much (not much at all) but there are various write-up how to recover or repair Grub 2 problems.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
Old April 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
No nitpicking intended here, but try -at least- to be more precise next time about the error... the exact error message could be easily solved using google + your distro name or you could have somebody help you by probably googling at your place and telling you what to do exactly or maybe point you in the right direction.
Old April 14, 2010, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yeah, those problems are normally easy to solve, if you have a bit of knowledge about DOS-type partitions, PC boot process and GRUB.

Details of GRUB on the PC
Minimal partition table specification
GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

Old April 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

...or just the good error message + google + acces to grub prompt