Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2010, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

Exclamation Linux need help

hi everyone,

i will try to explain my problem here.

i am somewhat new to linux but usually i find my way arround issues and often i find solutions but this time i am stuck. i am using linux backtrack4 distro live cd wich is based on ubuntu. it runs on the memory so i dont have alot of space to save files. what i am trying to do is write a certain file on a partition and it wont want to. first i created a partition using a utility in linux of about 70gb and i am trying to tell to the airodump app to write the file on that partition. the partition is /hda2. i am following a tutotial and it says to write this:

Quote:
airodump-ng wlan0 -w /mnt/hda2/a
"a" is for my .csv file
so basically it is supposed to write the file "a" on the partition /hda2
but i got this message:

Quote:
fopen failed: no such file or directory
could not create "mnt/hda2/a-01.csv"
i tried several combinations but every time i get this message

what am i doing wrong here?

thx

Last edited by SugarJ; March 30, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old March 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

just a thought here, have you tried running it as 'sudo' ?
Old March 29, 2010, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect

thx for the reply!

well i am logged in as admin already so i dont need to right? and in all tutorials of backtrack distro they dont specify to write sudo

edit: no it still doesnt work
Old March 29, 2010, 07:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

has the drive been mounted?
Old March 30, 2010, 06:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

I am still rather new at Linux but I know there is a difference between being admin and being root, root being the almighty of Linux accounts.

And grinder has a very good point also.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

I say google 'airodump-ng.' I've read briefly of it once but have not used it. But, if you are getting error messages, you should doublecheck that your wireless is set up properly. Drivers need to be installed, firmware also and modules loaded properly etc. etc. All the stars have to be aligned for using airodump-ng, I suspect. :)
Old April 1, 2010, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

thx for the reply guys. i have found a solution by installing linux on the hdd and work in the root folder. but to answer you're questions yes i was loged as root and yes the drive was mounted

thx anyways