Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Any mysql experts in the house?

Im installing mantis bugtracker, which requires mysql,php and iis or apache.

Im using the following:
mysql essentials 5.1.45 -x86
php-5.3.2 x86
and IIS 7

The OS is server 2008 standard 64

The main problem is that the mantis install, I cant connect to mysql.

If during mantis configuration, I use "database type" of mysql - i get the error: Attempting to connect to database as admin - Does administrator user have access to database? (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.)

If I use mysqli i get an "internal server error" 500.0 php-cgi - the fastcgi process exited unexpectedly

I have set IIS to run in 32bit mode, through the application pool.

If I run the following php script to access mysql then i get "Could not connect to mysql server - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond"
<?php
// Establish a connection and select a database
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'phptest', 'phptest')
or die('Could not connect to the MySQL Server: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db('mysql') or die('Could not Select the Database.<br><br>
The error returned by MySQL was: <br>' . mysql_error());
// Close the connection
mysql_close($link);
?>

This leads me to believe that mantis is not the problem, but php and mysql arent communicating.

In the php.ini file, I have activated the mysql and mysqli extensions.
And mysql is installed as a service in windows, and is running.
I suspect I may have to do something in mysql to allow it to accept connections.
Also in all of the programs respective directories, and the wwwroot I have enabled full control for IIS_user, network service and Users

Any ideas?
Old March 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Use this -> apache friends - xampp

IIS is horrible and garbage.
Old March 26, 2010, 01:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

After a week of playing around with this, and countless hours of googling, i probably should :P
Do I have to uninstall the IIS role, or can it coexist?
Old March 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
After a week of playing around with this, and countless hours of googling, i probably should :P
Do I have to uninstall the IIS role, or can it coexist?
Should be able to co-exist.

But if IIS is setup to be a system service you'll have to disable it.
Old March 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
IIS is horrible and garbage.
I'm glad seeing that... for all the times I got in conversation about IIS being shit with all the microsoft fans I know that swears only by Windows server and all its bells and whistles
Old March 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I'm glad seeing that... for all the times I got in conversation about IIS being shit with all the microsoft fans I know that swears only by Windows server and all its bells and whistles
Only thing Windows is good at SEMI doing is Active Directory.

Otherwise for a server for things like mail and web and etc a *nix server is the only way.
Old March 26, 2010, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Im installing mantis bugtracker, which requires mysql,php and iis or apache.

Im using the following:
mysql essentials 5.1.45 -x86
php-5.3.2 x86
and IIS 7

The OS is server 2008 standard 64

The main problem is that the mantis install, I cant connect to mysql.

If during mantis configuration, I use "database type" of mysql - i get the error: Attempting to connect to database as admin - Does administrator user have access to database? (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.)

If I use mysqli i get an "internal server error" 500.0 php-cgi - the fastcgi process exited unexpectedly

I have set IIS to run in 32bit mode, through the application pool.

If I run the following php script to access mysql then i get "Could not connect to mysql server - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond"
<?php
// Establish a connection and select a database
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'phptest', 'phptest')
or die('Could not connect to the MySQL Server: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db('mysql') or die('Could not Select the Database.<br><br>
The error returned by MySQL was: <br>' . mysql_error());
// Close the connection
mysql_close($link);
?>

This leads me to believe that mantis is not the problem, but php and mysql arent communicating.

In the php.ini file, I have activated the mysql and mysqli extensions.
And mysql is installed as a service in windows, and is running.
I suspect I may have to do something in mysql to allow it to accept connections.
Also in all of the programs respective directories, and the wwwroot I have enabled full control for IIS_user, network service and Users

Any ideas?
Where is your PHP.ini file located? Make sure you have it in the C:\Windows folder. It needs to be in that folder for it to properly run. Have you also setup your windows Path Environment variable to have C:\PHP incluided? Do both of those and see if it works after that. You may have to copy a few of the php mysql DLL's to the c:\windows\system32 folder if the above does not work.

It looks like it is either your MySql server is not running or PHP is not able to properly connect to it.

Even better it looks like your using IIS7. Did you check out the Web platform installer? Is that how you installed PHP & MySql?

Use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer : Web Platform Installer : Microsoft Web Platform : The Official Microsoft IIS Site Check this out Might help make things easier.

Can you access MySql through its command line?
Old March 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

oh em ge. Your a F****** genious. Ive never heard of "microsoft web platform installer" But it worked like a charm. I removed the mess I had made, and it installed php and mysql, which immediately worked. From there I had mantis and myphpadmin going no problem. Thanks so much!

enaberif, I would have went your route next, but I actually should get myself familiar with the workings of IIS, as substandard as it may be.
Old March 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
oh em ge. Your a F****** genious. Ive never heard of "microsoft web platform installer" But it worked like a charm. I removed the mess I had made, and it installed php and mysql, which immediately worked. From there I had mantis and myphpadmin going no problem. Thanks so much!

enaberif, I would have went your route next, but I actually should get myself familiar with the workings of IIS, as substandard as it may be.
IIS7 is not substandard by any means. Its actually quite powerful, has good performance and strong security. I really enjoy working with it but I am comfortable with IIS6 which isn't near as polished. Glad that worked, I installed Wordpress on my Windows 7 box using that and couldn't believe how easy it was.