Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2010, 04:28 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I don't believe it's really good practice to use the built-in administrator account as your only account. It's hidden for a reason...

The first account that's created after installing Windows 7 is an administrator as well. Just disabled UAC and you're set.

Could someone explain the account thing to me. I've read that I should create another account for security reasons but I haven't found anywhere where I can read why and how.
Thanks
Jim
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Intel i7 860 - Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet - 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V - Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 1Tb - Corsair TX750W - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb GDDR5 - DVD Drives X2 LG GH24LS50 - Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced - Win 7 Pro 64
Old April 2, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they say it because if you don't know what your doing the admin account lets you change things that can be dangerous. where other accounts don't that's all it is i think. anyone else have more info on it?
Old April 4, 2010, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect

I found this but I'm still not quite getting it. mechBgon's guide for first-time PC builders... Best practices for ongoing security

And this. Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator

According to this article it seems that using the computer can be a pain in the a$$. I would think doing this would mean logging off and on to do the things you would normally do in daily use of your computer?

Maybe I'm not gettin it?
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Intel i7 860 - Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet - 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V - Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 1Tb - Corsair TX750W - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb GDDR5 - DVD Drives X2 LG GH24LS50 - Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced - Win 7 Pro 64
Old April 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The first account Windows creates after you install (and type in your user name) by default has administrative rights. There really is no need for anymore IMO. You should have access to everything and anything. Sure UAC is enabled by default, but disabling that and you have no silly prompts for everything you do.

And for everyone else who may use your computer, either enable the Guest account, or create a standard user account for them to use. Then they can't muck up anything. In theory, even doing this yourself when just surfing the net and stuff can be more secure as you cannot typically install software under this account or modify any system related settings/files. Makes it harder for malware to get in.

By enabling, and using the Administrator account, you technically have a massive security hole because it's basically common knowledge the account exists on all Windows computers and it'll be the first thing hackers attempt to get into. Bit more difficult to guess a random username. I know, it's probably a very unlikely scenario in home use, but it can be troublesome in a domain environment and that's why it's highly recommended on servers to rename the Administrator account immediately, or create a copy (with a different username of course) and disabling Administrator.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
DropMyRights referred in the 2nd URL above is only relevant to XP. With Vista/W7, IE7/8 runs in "protected mode" and operates with very low privileges level, thus IE won't be able to touch any of the system's core files/folders/processes even if you're logged on with an Admin account.

Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer

Note that Firefox and Opera do not run in protected mode.

Quote:
According to this article it seems that using the computer can be a pain in the a$$.
On a new build running with a standard account (or Limited User Account LUA) immediately is a PITA since there are so much customizing and installing that will require Admin rights.

After the initial setup period, whether a LUA is suitable for day-to-day use depends on the apps you use and how often you need to access system resources that require Admin rights. If you don't see many UAC prompts once the system has "settled in" then you'll probably have no problem running with a LUA.

Quote:
I would think doing this would mean logging off and on to do the things you would normally do in daily use of your computer?
I'm been running systems day-to-day with LUA since NT4 and I rarely have to log off the LUA -- I just start a command console with Admin rights and do whatever I have to do from there.

Because the ways by which current malware is most often propagated -- by exploiting vulnerabilities in the OS and internet facing applications, and the things they may install in the system -- rootkits, overwatch processes, keyloggers (all of which would be difficult to install without Admin rights), etc -- restricting/reducing privileges of the users is a corner stone in defending against them.

However, safe computing is always a compromise between usability and security, and UAC/Admin Approval Mode in Vista/W7 is a compromise between using Admin accounts and LUA for day-to-day use.