Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 Fonts Jagged, ClearType Off

I have recently bought a new computer DELL Studio XP 8100, GTS 240 video card, Windows 7 Ultimate, and was shocked how bad the fonts look on Win. 7 compared to my old computer running Windows XP. Why Microsoft, why mess with perfection? The fonts on Win. XP look perfect - sharp and crisp - why fix what is not broken?

As it turns out, the problem has to do with the implementation on ClearType, which should be named BlurryType, because the fonts just look terrible. Anyway, I have disabled ClearType and changed all system fonts so that they match Win. XP fonts. The regular text looks great now (the same as on Win XP), but on Firefox and IE, cirtain types of text (mainly headlines in bold letters) look jagged. Please take a look at the examples.

This screen grabs were taken from the same system (Win. 7 Ultimate running Win. XP virtualization mode). As you can see, on Win. 7 the headlines in bold text look very jagged across different websites, on Win. XP, they look good. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you for your help.
Attached Images