Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2010, 04:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
looks like he can't take a joke was too tempting .... ( c'est une joke, )

I don't need a server, I just fall on that today, I was suprise to see that many peoples use Microsoft Servers and they do well with it.
Can't take a joke?

You ask for help, I reply with a complete answer and replied again telling you that you may be making a mistake if you were counting on a site like that about uptime then you say something about my mental age? And that's a joke? I'm trying to help somebody that is clearly cluless about this subject and the person asking the question rejects the answer and spits on someone helping him and that is a joke?

Peut-etre que tu n'es pas capable d'accepter le fait qu'un ptit coune de 19 ans est capable de repondre a ta question et a beaucoup plus d'experience que toi dans ce domaine la, mais essaye au moins que ca paraisse pas.

C'est le fun de perdre du temps comme ca... et apres ca le monde ne comprenne pas pourquoi je suis retissant a les aider
Old March 14, 2010, 04:18 PM
Banned
F@H

relax kid....first of all , where did you see I need help. do you seriously thing I need help to install IIS on a 2008 or 2003 server.. or configure an Apache server on a linux distro

the question was ...witch web server is the more reliable. not Markone is too dump to install a server and need your help. and have some respect for other member.....write in english
Old March 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would go with IIS7 and Windows Sever 2008 personally. It can run PHP very well and .NET. Depending on the requirements I would try IIS7 and see what you think.
Old March 14, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
. and have some respect for other member.....write in english
you posted the topic, one would think you'd need the help. regardless..

you're one to talk about respect, sir. You tried to make a joke and ended up insulting another member, as you can plainly see. You could, at the least, apologize.

Old March 14, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
you posted the topic, one would think you'd need the help. regardless..

you're one to talk about respect, sir. You tried to make a joke and ended up insulting another member, as you can plainly see. You could, at the least, apologize.

I agree. When I read it I didn't think you were joking.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

I personally use (and recommend) Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS (until 10.04 LTS comes out in April + a few months of debugging).

You can setup a full blown LAMP (Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP) server in minutes.

You can also install Webmin for a web-based configuration and monitoring tool (useful for noobs and experts alike).

I don't believe in Windows webservers.

PS. Les suggestions du "ti-coune" () Útaient bonnes, mais BSD c'est du trouble a configurer pour un noob! Mais BSD (et FreeBSD) = sÚcuritÚ totale.

Old March 15, 2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

ENGLISH PEOPLE. You know....a civilized language? j/k :P
Old March 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
I have a question , what is the most reliable server OS to use for Internet,
What kind of hosting are you planning on doing? Are you doing .Net or PHP/Ruby/Phython/etc ?
Old March 15, 2010, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
thanks guy....I"m not looking for a server but I have a link here of the server who have the longest run time. Have a look you will be surprise.

Sites with longest running systems by average uptime
You might have done your research better Mark. The reason why you don't see any Linux in there is because the kernel uses a 32bits int for uptime. This int rolls over every 497 days, meaning it resets to 0 then crawls back up again.

There's a patch to make it 64 bits but so far it's not included by default in distributions (it's not exactly a critical patch).

As for the original question, any of the BSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD) are probably the most stable web server OS right now. Linux is also an excellent choice, but you might want to upgrade your kernel at least once a year, so plan for a good 3 minutes downtime per year. Not strictly necessary, but it's always good to keep a server facing the internet at least moderately up to date.

Old March 15, 2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a question , what is the most reliable server OS to use for Internet,
Imho, Debian.

Server Guide and Blog