Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2010, 04:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Linux Mint is based on ubuntu so you could try another distro that isn't ...

Fedora - Mandriva - Mepis - SuSe etc ...

Try running it from the live cd before you install it as well.

I have found the they run better on intel hardware out of the box and AMD systems need tweaking.
This experience comes from running linux over the last 9 years ...

Also, I don't install the OS on the same hdd ... I find it better to add a 2nd hdd and run it off that.

Good luck
To OP: Don't touch RedHat... bad idea. Go with Debian or Slackware (or FreeBSD but don't mind that yet).

To yamaho: Run better on intel hardware? Non-sense. If the AMD cpu is 64 bit, it will run perfectly on i386 and amd64 "versions".
Also the support for all the chips on the board on most board is perfect, especially for linux.

Better on a second hdd? Why would you tell him to start getting new hardware to run linux 'test' machine? Unless windows takes all the space on the drive, there's no point in telling him to do that.

Last edited by m1dget; March 11, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:35 PM
Banned
F@H

why you don't try my keyboard problem sugestion before, installing different distro , will not change anything if I'm right
Old March 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have both win7 and ubuntu on my laptop and got no problem. Same thing on my desktop with which i got some problem. The comp detect the keyboard before the post (I can enter in the bios with it) but after that, It won't be recongnized t'ill the os is loaded. I can't use it to enter in the RAID menu or to press a key to boot from a cd. But if I unplug and plug it back, it's all nice. But with a old basic keyboard it just works fine.

that's with a Logitech G15 and my MB is a Gigabyte UD2.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'll give the keyboard suggestion that MarkOne gave a whirl. I've been reading that this is a pretty common problem on Gigabyte motherboards in general. I would have expected a company them to have fixed an issue like this by now. I'll probably think twice before ever purchasing a motherboard from gigabyte again
Old March 13, 2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

What is your model of keyboard and mobo? Check that the most recent BIOS is being used. Then google both parts like this: "X" (the keyboard) + "Y" (mobo) + "linux." If you aren't satisfied with the results, change 'linux' to Ubuntu, say, and see what you get then.

I think it's a good idea to run Windows and Linux on separate drives. You have the Grub bootloader installed on the Linux one and you can still pick Windows. It will just switch to the other drive when you choose Windows. I think it's a bit more convenient if you ever need to reinstall. I still use one drive for it all but if I get a SSD and install Windows 7 on it, I plan on using this method. Less partitions and chance of wiping out one you don't want wiped out. :)
Old March 13, 2010, 05:43 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
that's with a Logitech G15 and my MB is a Gigabyte UD2.

guess what my problem with my Gigabyte was with a G11 ...
Old March 13, 2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenHalo83 View Post
It's a phenom II board. GA-790FXTA-UD5. But that seems to be the issue im having. I use a Razer Arctose KB and it doesnt respond when the OS selection comes up
I just spotted this.... oops...

The keyboard should work.... sort of...

[Phoronix] Razer Arctosa Keyboard Review

I would search like this:
[all variants] Razer keyboards/Mice - Ubuntu Forums

See if you can find anything. Mint is based on Ubuntu so any solution should (in theory) work.