Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Trying to get wireless internet to run at full speed on windows 7 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/29461-trying-get-wireless-internet-run-full-speed-windows-7-a.html)

BootlegUsher March 3, 2010 12:33 AM

Trying to get wireless internet to run at full speed on windows 7

So I have the Linksys WUSB600N wireless adapter and a matching router. When I was on windows XP my internet ran at 130 mbs/s. I built a new PC with windows 7 and I downloaded the windows 7 driver off the linksys website. After installing the driver my internet works, but is capped at 54mbs/s.

I tried calling linksys but the lady on the phone was useless and just kept telling me to check the support website, which I have already done.

I would like to get my internet back up to full speed because after all, I paid good money for a product that isn't even that old so I expect it to work.

Before on XP I used the installation CD and it installed a linksys utility. Now on windows 7 it seems like the ultility can't be installed and windows does it on its own now.

Any ideas how to get my speed back? Or did linksys just leave its customers high and dry?

sswilson March 3, 2010 01:45 AM

Is there any chance you picked up another wireless device between the time you remember getting full wireless "N" speeds and now? If you've got a wireless "G" device connected to the router it'll default down to that speed for all connections.

LarkStarr March 3, 2010 10:49 AM

-all the modes set correctly?
-computer is it the same position as before?
-no other wireless device?
-did a speed test between both XP and 7, reproducible?

I've seen integrated wireless N work perfectly on laptops, on windows 7

enaberif March 3, 2010 10:56 AM

You didn't say what router you were using?

As stated above are there any other wireless devices?

matsta31 March 3, 2010 11:24 AM

Can you go into your router wirelesse utility page and print screen it ? It looks like you are running at G speed, wich is normally some settings from the router. Enven 130 Mb/s looks to me like you had an hibryd connection going on.

Cheator March 3, 2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 341986)
Can you go into your router wirelesse utility page and print screen it ? It looks like you are running at G speed, wich is normally some settings from the router. Enven 130 Mb/s looks to me like you had an hibryd connection going on.

N can max out at 130.

What about the antenna? is it in the same place? 2.4 or 5ghz?

BootlegUsher March 3, 2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 341986)

When you say print screen the wireless utility page, do you mean the green icon that is normally in the system tray at the bottom? That is no longer there on windows 7. I will go into more detail.

Adapter: WUSB600N version 1

Router: WRT160N version 1

The installation CD does nothing, it just gets to the part where it asks you to plug the adapter in and hit continue. When I hit continue, nothing happens. No configuration utility.

So what I did was uninstall everything, simply plug my adapter in, then go to device manager and click update drivers, where I selected my windows 7 64 but driver. Everything loads nicely, takes about 5 seconds and then I see that I can enter my network password and voilla, I am connected, but at 54mb/s.

This is the same device that I was getting 130 mb/s on under windows XP. My security level should be the same too, which is WPA personal TKIP.

I built a new PC with windows 7, clean install. The computer is in the same place as the old PC.

On a side note, wow is linksys support awful. The people on their 24 hour tech support line tell me that since my product is past the warranty date, they cannot help me unless I pay $30! They could literally know exactly what the problem is and tell me what to do over the phone, but they won't unless I pay more money. If they want to destroy customer loyalty as fast as possible, they are doing a goood job.

sswilson March 3, 2010 12:52 PM

It still sounds to me like you're using a wireless G card somewhere in the household. Any chance you've picked up a wireless printer, or are you using a wireless console?

BootlegUsher March 3, 2010 01:07 PM

I have a wireless printer, and I had it back when I was getting 130 mb/s on my old PC. Also, it is connected to this particular computer by USB, not wireless.

sswilson March 3, 2010 01:13 PM

Check to make sure that the wireless module is turned off. If it is, have a look at the log inside your router to see what devices are connected.

Unless this is a $200+ Dual Band wireless N router it will not do wireless G and wireless N at the same time.... if there is a single wireless G device connected, it will default to wireless G for all connected devices.