Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2010, 02:41 PM
shaw

I had a similar issue with a new Buffalo N adaptor and Windows 7; I had to change the channel width of the DIR-655 to Auto 20/40Mhz, instead of 20Mhz in order to run at N speeds. It was capped at 54Mb/s, now it runs at 162Mb/s. Also make sure your Mode is mixed N and G.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My router gives maxes out at 270 in N mode only. I suppose I do have a dual band. Did not know wich one OP had. What I meant by print screen is I wanted to take look at the mode you were running the router. go to this link :

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT160N get into the user guide, at page 15 it show you how to setup your advanced wireless setting. I wanted you to take a look and see what kind of transmission rate your router is defaulting to. Seems with your router you can select N-only or auto. Force N only on see what it does to your transmission rate. Beware, all your G device (seems you dont have any, so no big deal) will lose connectivity. If it goes back to the 120 ish rate, then you found your problem. If not, we need to look elsewhere.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 3, 2010, 03:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
-did a speed test between both XP and 7, reproducible?
I have the old PC right next to me, with the software still installed.

Step 1: hook up old windows XP PC with wireless adapter in question, programs load, check internet speed, 130 mb/s

Step 2: unhook old PC, take wireless adapter, plug into new windows 7 PC, hook up new PC, power on, programs load. Check internet speed, 54 mb/s

This tells me that it is either a setting I have to change with my adapter, or that I am SOL because linksys doesn't support their products properly. I don't see how any amount of fiddling with my router will change anything, since it works fine on my old PC right now.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would still try to forcre it, but it is your troubleshooting, blame the W7 support if you wish.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you manually update your driver to the Windows 7 version? I'd go into the device manager, delete the device and driver, and re-install using the downloaded driver from here: Linksys by Cisco - WUSB600N Support

Do not use the install disk.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Did you manually update your driver to the Windows 7 version? I'd go into the device manager, delete the device and driver, and re-install using the downloaded driver from here: Linksys by Cisco - WUSB600N Support

Do not use the install disk.
Did that, same situation.

I would like to ask a question, does anyone here have a WUSB600N adapter, windows 7, and is getting the full speed?
Old March 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you force your router to use the 5 ghz band only?

Edit: is your usb stick plugged in a front panel connection? or directly to the motherboard? Try the mobo connection if it's not already.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
MVP

Well as much as I liked blaming Linksys, I guess it is a setting somewhere that is the problem because I picked this up:
Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter 300Mbps at Memory Express Computers and I am still at 54 mb/s. Luckily I can just return it tomorrow.

I guess I am going to have to mess with my router now. To recap the suggestions:

-Force router to use 5ghz band (will that mess up my one wireless G PC, and printer?)
-Try using N signal only (I do have one wireless G card upstairs, so if that fixes my issue I could always keep this belkin adapter I bought and have the whole house on N. What about the printer though?)

What is firmware? I see that for my router there is a download for firmware. Is it possible that something about my router needs updating?
Old March 3, 2010, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Well as much as I liked blaming Linksys, I guess it is a setting somewhere that is the problem because I picked this up:
Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter 300Mbps at Memory Express Computers and I am still at 54 mb/s. Luckily I can just return it tomorrow.

I guess I am going to have to mess with my router now. To recap the suggestions:

-Force router to use 5ghz band (will that mess up my one wireless G PC, and printer?)
-Try using N signal only (I do have one wireless G card upstairs, so if that fixes my issue I could always keep this belkin adapter I bought and have the whole house on N. What about the printer though?)

What is firmware? I see that for my router there is a download for firmware. Is it possible that something about my router needs updating?
You didn't say you had another wireless G computer in the house. Yes, it will mess it up. Unless you have a dual-band router (you don't), anytime a G connection is in place, the N connections downclock to match the speed. Physically turn off the other computer and wireless printer, reboot your system and watch your bandwidth to the router go back up to 130.

It really doesn't matter unless you are transferring files to another machine, because your DSL or cable connection is 25 MBPS or less, and you're still at 54, which is faster than your internet connection. It's not throttling you.

Problem solved. Next time, give us all the information from the start.

Tags
wusb600n