Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 12:03 AM
MVP

Default Lock desktop icons?

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the desktop icons on Windows 7? My 3 1/2yr old son loves using my computer, but he hasn't mastered point and clicking. Thus, my icons are always copied thrice or deleted etc.

I was just wondering if there is a way to lock the icons on the desktop so they can not be moved.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old February 21, 2010, 03:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the desktop icons on Windows 7? My 3 1/2yr old son loves using my computer, but he hasn't mastered point and clicking. Thus, my icons are always copied thrice or deleted etc.

I was just wondering if there is a way to lock the icons on the desktop so they can not be moved.
I don't want to google for you (obviously), but iirc from what I have read a while ago in one of my books you can do that in the registry.
Old February 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

* DISCLAIMER: edit the Registry at your own peril*

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key.

Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box.

After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state
Old February 21, 2010, 06:48 PM
MVP

Thank you :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."