Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
Allstar

Default Cheapest W7 way

A friend of mine has had W7 RC for his only OS since this summer. The RC limit is coming in march and he is now looking for a legit version of W7. However, i'm surprised to see that in retail it is for sale for 225$+. I am also confused with all those ways to avoid this crazy price.

Do you guys know any simpler way to get cheaper (like an upgrade key that would work?) or should he go with the OEM version he can order online...

Old February 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I was actually going to post a thread asking the exact same thing. If anybody has a really cheap option, I'd be glad to hear of it.

Best I can offer is that Microsoft has a site called the Ultimate Steal, which is primarily used for Office, but you can also purchase the Windows 7 Professional upgrade for $95. It used to be $40, and I wish I had bought it then. Only catch with the site is that you need to be a student at a Canadian university or college, which isn't a problem for me.

If anybody knows of a better deal, especially if you're buying W7 for two computers, please post here.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could sign up for TechNet subscription. Sure it costs more, but if you need multiple licenses, and want access to all Windows versions basically, then it ends up cheaper.

And I'm not sure what version you're looking at, but Home Premium will suffice for any user really. Professional introduces Domain support mainly (not many people use that at home), and Ultimate is just everything shoved in.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want the Ultimate Steal you could just ask a relative who goes to Uni/College, as I did with my sis.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:59 PM
Allstar

I'm not talking about an upgrade, and it's not for a "computer guy". He just needs a simple OS to edit and compose music. Can the ultimate steal apply for a real version of W7?

Old February 19, 2010, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well, the Ultimate Steal is a real version of Windows, you just need a prior version of Windows in order to install it, but you can install it in place of the RC, you need to change a couple things around though. Google would show you what to do. To answer about pro vs home premium, the ultimate steal only has the pro version on it, so home premium isn't an option, and the pro upgrade is $95 whereas the home premium upgrade on microsoft's site or Best Buy etc is $120 (Professional upgrade through those channels is $200).

How much is a TechNet subscription? And it allows for access to multiple versions and copies of Windows? How many? I'm guessing not unlimited copies, right?
Old February 19, 2010, 09:22 PM
OHPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
Well, the Ultimate Steal is a real version of Windows, you just need a prior version of Windows in order to install it, but you can install it in place of the RC, you need to change a couple things around though. Google would show you what to do. To answer about pro vs home premium, the ultimate steal only has the pro version on it, so home premium isn't an option, and the pro upgrade is $95 whereas the home premium upgrade on microsoft's site or Best Buy etc is $120 (Professional upgrade through those channels is $200).

How much is a TechNet subscription? And it allows for access to multiple versions and copies of Windows? How many? I'm guessing not unlimited copies, right?
I believe it was just over $300 with the coupon code, you get 10 keys per OS/software.

Really for most of us that have multiple machines it is the only way to go.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

For the cost of the TechNet subscription, think of it this way, you get an operating system, office suite, and other software for up to 10 computers or laptops that the person owns (or in the household).

Search for a coupon code for the TechNet subscription in these forums - with coupon $251.28 US.
TechNet Plus Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet Plus downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Plus Subscriptions | Get Windows 7 Beta Now

The other option:
The person could buy an internal computer component and the Win7 OEM of his choice at the lowest priced store for the two items.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

That's really solid. Trying to convince my dad so I don't have to pay for it (University debt and all). Since my computer, my brother's, and my mom's could all use W7. Maybe my sister and brother-in-law too. Plus Office Ultimate. His could too, but it's a six year old laptop that can't even run it, so if he gets another laptop then it would have W7 anyways.

Is that coupon code still available? Since the OP in the thread I found was August 20, 2009.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
OHPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
That's really solid. Trying to convince my dad so I don't have to pay for it (University debt and all). Since my computer, my brother's, and my mom's could all use W7. Maybe my sister and brother-in-law too. Plus Office Ultimate. His could too, but it's a six year old laptop that can't even run it, so if he gets another laptop then it would have W7 anyways.

Is that coupon code still available? Since the OP in the thread I found was August 20, 2009.
I think there is a recent 27-28% (?) coupon around here. somewhere.........I think AkG might have linked me to it with in the last 1.5 months.

Edit: Try these.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...t-technet.html