Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 09:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
That's really solid. Trying to convince my dad so I don't have to pay for it (University debt and all). Since my computer, my brother's, and my mom's could all use W7. Maybe my sister and brother-in-law too. Plus Office Ultimate. His could too, but it's a six year old laptop that can't even run it, so if he gets another laptop then it would have W7 anyways.

Is that coupon code still available? Since the OP in the thread I found was August 20, 2009.

Read J M's post part way down the page
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...on-code-3.html

I tested J M's code before I posted the $251.28 US value
Old February 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Nice. Thanks a ton guys, think I'll go with this. Unfortunately this may not help OP since it sounds like he just needs a single copy for his friend.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
OHPC

Quote:
Nice. Thanks a ton guys, think I'll go with this. Unfortunately this may not help OP since it sounds like he just needs a single copy for his friend.
If I was the OP, I would try to get the student version if he can, failing that I would grab a oem copy.

OEM's were all I used for years.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
A friend of mine has had W7 RC for his only OS since this summer. The RC limit is coming in march and he is now looking for a legit version of W7. However, i'm surprised to see that in retail it is for sale for 225$+. I am also confused with all those ways to avoid this crazy price.

Do you guys know any simpler way to get cheaper (like an upgrade key that would work?) or should he go with the OEM version he can order online...
For OEM Try:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT Dvd Oem - DirectCanada

or http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45271&...ture=Microsoft and price match to Direct Canada

Shops around me sell W7 Home Prem. OEM for about $130

For the student options, verify that the key is valid indefinitely.

Last edited by HalifaxPete; February 19, 2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old February 20, 2010, 01:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've seen 7 for under $100 on sale at NCIX a few times. Only $110 for HP right now.

Old February 20, 2010, 06:43 AM
MVP

Default illegal use of Technet

Quote:
That's really solid. Trying to convince my dad so I don't have to pay for it (University debt and all). Since my computer, my brother's, and my mom's could all use W7. Maybe my sister and brother-in-law too. Plus Office Ultimate. His could too, but it's a six year old laptop that can't even run it, so if he gets another laptop then it would have W7 anyways.

Is that coupon code still available? Since the OP in the thread I found was August 20, 2009.
If you are going to use the Technet subscription illegally, why pay anything? - it's all available for FREE! Use torrents or the bins.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
If you are going to use the Technet subscription illegally, why pay anything? - it's all available for FREE! Use torrents or the bins.
lol I wouldn't really count his usage as illegal. They're all family, so I consider that fine. And it's surely not as illegal as pirating it.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:32 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
Microsoft would certainly prefer that he purchase a Technet subscription and use it improperly rather than him pirating Windows instead.
Old February 20, 2010, 06:38 PM
Allstar

Okay thanks for all your help, i guess we'll go OEM.

Old February 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Professional introduces Domain support mainly (not many people use that at home)
Sorry to continue this thread if it was supposed to conclude?

...but, I'm asking the same question and a few more...

I am wondering about this:
Quote:
Professional introduces Domain support mainly (not many people use that at home)
The other reason one would want Professional might be 'XP Mode.' I read of some workarounds, though.

I don't think I need that. But, about the saving a backup to a network or domain support, that's mostly for businesses?

I think I can make do with Home Premium? To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft so it will bother me to be 'legal' per se but if I go with a new Windows, I'll get it legally. I want to work in computers and I'll have some legal projects on the side (webpages) so I'll want to test pages in Windows, for e.g.

I bought my copy of Windows XP Professional.

But, should I go with an upgrade version or OEM? OEM is more expensive? so wouldn't I try to get an upgrade? Is it legal to buy someone's OS copy if they insist it's no longer installed.

I have XP Pro so can I upgrade to either Premium or Pro? Which version (incl. uprade or OEM) do you recommend?

The other reason I prefer to spend a min. amount on the OS is I would mostly buy it because I'd be investing in a new HDD, a new SSD to be exact. So...

I hope I can get some assistance sorting this out and figure out what the best route to take is.... :)