Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default moving from vista to 7, backup and restore question

So i have vista ultimate currently and i have a free copy of 7 home premium.
what i would like to know since you cant upgrade from one to the other is if
i can use a backup/restore program, either windows based or not.
to copy my programs/user files ect ect from vista to 7 since i cannot use
the simple upgrade feature since they are not the same subset of windows programs.

(which i find stupid)
anyway

any help would be great,
im not looking forward to the good chance that i have find and reinstall everything.

thanks
-will
Old February 7, 2010, 07:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

All I did was go and backup my user folder (app data included) and when I installed 7 from vista it was simple as restoring the user folder and reinstalling programs. The settings for programs should be fine if you managed to catch your appdata folder.