Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 12:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Norton Products, Any good?

Alright guys i just had a general question for anybody who has had experience with Norton Products, the last time i used a Norton product was Norton Anti-Virus 2003 and it was great, but for the last couple years most of there software has been not so great compared to free software.

The reason i am asking this is i just received a free copy of the following from work:
Norton Internet Security 2010
Norton Anti-Virus 2010
Norton Utilities 2010
Norton Ghost 15
Norton Online Backup
Norton 360 v3.0

My manager came back from a conference and asked me if i wanted the software, it is all retail packaged and brand new. So my question is, is any of it worth using? I understand how all the software works and know what its for but are Norton products worth installing? Like i mentioend above the last time i used a Norton product was in 2003 and I am kind of leery about installing any of there products on a perfectly working PC. (Specs are in my signature)

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old February 7, 2010, 12:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

2009 antivirus and newer is not bad. I would certainly use it if it was free. Internet security and especially 360 are bloated pieces of crap. If I were you, I would use the 2010 antivirus, and do weekly scans with malwarebytes. As for the other products, haven't used em except for ghost (respected imaging program) though I prefer acronis,

Last edited by odis172; February 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old February 7, 2010, 01:21 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard that their recent products are much improved over the last couple of years, but I personally would still not bother with it and just use Microsoft Security Essentials instead for virus and malware protection. The only thing in there that might be genuinely useful is Ghost, although even that has been problematic for me in the past; I started using Acronis True Image instead a few years ago and I've had better results with that.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I couldn't really say it any better than Zero82z just said.

So, err... what he said.

I suppose to not be biased I would try the Norton AV and see how it was but Norton has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth....
Old February 7, 2010, 04:33 AM
Banned
F@H

I run also with the Microsoft Security Essentials, no hassle, free, no pop up to upgrade to the pay version. I think it's more on knowing what to do to avoid virus than protection. What even protection you put to peoples who click on all free things from Internet, and have Lime wire as music supply are more at risk than me.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:26 AM
MVP

From a software standpoint there are better out there. While Norton's 2010 products have improved I still find them bloated & resource demanding while not being top of the heap in terms of protection. In addition to this since they are one of the top dog's in terms of market penetration they are automatically in the bullseye for virus writers.
There are good free alternatives such as MS Security Essentials our my group of Techies favorite mix of Avira Free combined with MalwareBytes or Super Antispyware.

If it was me I'd be very tempted to sell the lot and with the proceeds buy Avira Premium ($30 CAD) & the full version of Malwarebytes ($28.11 CAD one time fee for personal use which unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating). Super Antispyware will set you back $40 USD with a lifetime subscription.

Norton 360 alone goes for over $60 retail (norton 360 v3 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices) so basically with your sale of the Norton products you can get proven better protection for free.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old February 7, 2010, 09:55 AM
MVP
F@H

Symantec = do not want
Old February 7, 2010, 09:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

For free, I would say that Ghost is a good deal for ya. As for the rest, there are free alternatives I would still rather use.

I find that Symantec products gets its claws all over your rig, which I hate. Hopefully their newer stuff is better, but I have been pretty happy since I ditched Symantec a few years ago.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Symantec = Resource Hogs / Junk!
Old February 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Symantec = Resource Hogs / Junk!
I agree. Norton is JUNK. Nothing more, Nothing less.

McAfee is not much better either.

You are best to find a free AV Solution that is far superior such as AVG Free Edition or Avira.

STAY AWAY FROM NORTON!!!!!

Would not trust Microsoft Essentials Either.