Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Norton Products, Any good? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/28658-norton-products-any-good.html)

Evilyeti February 7, 2010 12:09 AM

Norton Products, Any good?

Alright guys i just had a general question for anybody who has had experience with Norton Products, the last time i used a Norton product was Norton Anti-Virus 2003 and it was great, but for the last couple years most of there software has been not so great compared to free software.

The reason i am asking this is i just received a free copy of the following from work:
Norton Internet Security 2010
Norton Anti-Virus 2010
Norton Utilities 2010
Norton Ghost 15
Norton Online Backup
Norton 360 v3.0

My manager came back from a conference and asked me if i wanted the software, it is all retail packaged and brand new. So my question is, is any of it worth using? I understand how all the software works and know what its for but are Norton products worth installing? Like i mentioend above the last time i used a Norton product was in 2003 and I am kind of leery about installing any of there products on a perfectly working PC. (Specs are in my signature)

Any advise is greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

odis172 February 7, 2010 12:41 AM

2009 antivirus and newer is not bad. I would certainly use it if it was free. Internet security and especially 360 are bloated pieces of crap. If I were you, I would use the 2010 antivirus, and do weekly scans with malwarebytes. As for the other products, haven't used em except for ghost (respected imaging program) though I prefer acronis,

Zero82z February 7, 2010 01:21 AM

I've heard that their recent products are much improved over the last couple of years, but I personally would still not bother with it and just use Microsoft Security Essentials instead for virus and malware protection. The only thing in there that might be genuinely useful is Ghost, although even that has been problematic for me in the past; I started using Acronis True Image instead a few years ago and I've had better results with that.

Perineum February 7, 2010 04:00 AM

Wow, I couldn't really say it any better than Zero82z just said.

So, err... what he said.

I suppose to not be biased I would try the Norton AV and see how it was but Norton has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth....

MarkOne February 7, 2010 04:33 AM

I run also with the Microsoft Security Essentials, no hassle, free, no pop up to upgrade to the pay version. I think it's more on knowing what to do to avoid virus than protection. What even protection you put to peoples who click on all free things from Internet, and have Lime wire as music supply are more at risk than me.

kingnubian February 7, 2010 07:26 AM

From a software standpoint there are better out there. While Norton's 2010 products have improved I still find them bloated & resource demanding while not being top of the heap in terms of protection. In addition to this since they are one of the top dog's in terms of market penetration they are automatically in the bullseye for virus writers.
There are good free alternatives such as MS Security Essentials our my group of Techies favorite mix of Avira Free combined with MalwareBytes or Super Antispyware.

If it was me I'd be very tempted to sell the lot and with the proceeds buy Avira Premium ($30 CAD) & the full version of Malwarebytes ($28.11 CAD one time fee for personal use which unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating). Super Antispyware will set you back $40 USD with a lifetime subscription.

Norton 360 alone goes for over $60 retail (norton 360 v3 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices) so basically with your sale of the Norton products you can get proven better protection for free.

KeepSix February 7, 2010 09:55 AM

Symantec = do not want

chrisk February 7, 2010 09:59 AM

For free, I would say that Ghost is a good deal for ya. As for the rest, there are free alternatives I would still rather use.

I find that Symantec products gets its claws all over your rig, which I hate. Hopefully their newer stuff is better, but I have been pretty happy since I ditched Symantec a few years ago.

rjbarker February 7, 2010 11:43 AM

Symantec = Resource Hogs / Junk!

Digikid February 8, 2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 330089)
Symantec = Resource Hogs / Junk!

I agree. Norton is JUNK. Nothing more, Nothing less.

McAfee is not much better either.

You are best to find a free AV Solution that is far superior such as AVG Free Edition or Avira.

STAY AWAY FROM NORTON!!!!!

Would not trust Microsoft Essentials Either.