Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

^ is correct... many reviews and test lab highly recommend norton 2010...

MSE is very good freeware if you cant afford any paid software...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

since all the stuff you pay for is crap sorry but norton blows so does ms software no thank to both there are free software that's better so i will use that thank . jmo so some in a lab paid by symantec says it's good ya ok why bother when there free software that works better. dude you just said Maximum PC recommended 2009 that's like saying a tabloid said it was good people still read that rag.
I am not saying it hasn't gotten better then it was but i not willing to find out when there so many free better options

Last edited by gingerbee; February 9, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
since all the stuff you pay for is crap sorry but norton blows so does ms software no thank to both there are free software that's better so i will use that thank . jmo so some in a lab paid by symantec says it's good y ok why bother when there free software that works better.
So you're saying Norton paid off sites or magazines so they would say Norton Internet is now better ? So if HWC does a really positive review of a Gigabyte product is that the same thing ? Cmon Gingerbee when was the last time you used a Norton product ?
Old February 9, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
dude you just said Maximum PC recommended 2009 that's like saying a tabloid said it was good people still read that rag.
I am not saying it hasn't gotten better then it was but i not willing to find out when there so many free better options
Geez I don't think they're that bad. They often review same stuff as this site and come out with similar results.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3 days ago when i took it off a clients computer because it sucks( by the way it was also loaded with virus's )norton 2009 you like it you use it. and you can show me any where else and i will believe it more hell try toms before Maximum PC. they have been in bed with different company over the years. i never trust them at all. paid off is all i am going to say kinda like toms they like to smudge there numbers a little to much for me over the years. jmo not facts as always.
There not horrible but there just like toms if some is on a company side ( for what every reason "cash" then said product that are crap they tend to be real nice to with out say there just crap don't buy it. maybe because it has something to do with all the not stop ads did you think they may not want to piss off say a company that spend a lot of money with them through ads. I stopped reading them about 4 to 5 years ago. simple when they start saying dell and alienware are good products it's time for me to leave.

Last edited by gingerbee; February 9, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
3 days ago when i took it off a clients computer because it sucks( by the way it was also loaded with virus's )norton 2009 you like it you use it. and you can show me any where else and i will believe it more hell try toms before Maximum PC. they have been in bed with different company over the years. i never trust them at all. paid off is all i am going to say kinda like toms they like to smudge there numbers a little to much for me over the years. jmo not facts as always
Don't forget, programs like Norton can be temp disabled to go on Facebook or other places and freely download stuff without Norton pop ups telling you its not a good idea.

As for Max PC they didn't do the testing, it was a independant lab that specializes in that. At the end of the day I guess if you have a bad experience with something it never gets a 2nd look again. And that is understandable.

For me, I installed Internet Security 2009 on 12 PCs last year (relatives) and 3 more here at home. No virus. Before that I tried some free ones like AVG because Norton sucked pre 2009 and tons of spyware shit and some virus too.

Last edited by crazyhorsejohnny; February 9, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Don't forget, programs like Norton can be temp disabled to go on Facebook or other places and freely download stuff without Norton pop ups telling you its not a good idea.

As for Max PC they didn't do the testing, it was a independant lab that specializes in that. At the end of the day I guess if you have a bad experience with something it never gets a 2nd look again. And that is understandable.
yup if it was only one bad experience i might be willing to give them a shot but i have had nightmares over stuff that Norton let through on clients in the past i will never go there again
Old February 9, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
yup if it was only one bad experience i might be willing to give them a shot but i have had nightmares over stuff that Norton let through on clients in the past i will never go there again
Dude I had really bad experinces too but since 2009 version never one virus or anything else troublesome. Also I bought it at times where it was 75% off at Staples or Best Buy.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As I posted earlier it was AV Comparitives that did the testing and I have been burned by Norton in the past too. I completely agree that there are decent free solutions out there as well. But the new Norton products are really very good, at least the 2009 Internet Security I have is.

It's also worth mentioning that Web Sense Security Labs has released a report stating that 95% of the user generated content out there is malware or spam. So the fact that people's clients are bringing in infected machines makes me wonder what exactly are they doing on on the web? If your looking for trouble you'll find it no matter what AV you are running.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 9, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Symantec released a Gamer Edition that used very low resources, so I assume that they've built on that for the general consumer.

Remember, the majority of people STILL don't know what's safe and what isn't safe on the internet. I just had to sit with my dad for a bit to see where he was surfing just to show him what is safe and what isn't. He still doesn't get it. That is why I use antivirus. Now the gurus who surf a lot and build their own computers might not need antivirus and firewall, because they only visit a few sites regularly and forget about the rest of it. However, I am not taking the risk in my family, simply because I do not want to go through the hassle of removing it. I think my $50 went a long way.