Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

Default Intel Matrix Storage driver Help please.

I just installed this in a fresh new install of win 7 Pro 64 bit. I'm not running a raid setup and wasn't thinking at the time I loaded this. Should I remove it (if I can) or will it be of some benefit. I'm using a Intel 25X-M SSD 80 gb G2 for my OS and programs.
Thanks
Jim
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Intel i7 860 - Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet - 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V - Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 1Tb - Corsair TX750W - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb GDDR5 - DVD Drives X2 LG GH24LS50 - Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced - Win 7 Pro 64
Old February 6, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC, Intel Matrix drivers DONT support trim. This means that even though you are in AHCI mode ( I assume since you are not running a RAID) your SSD will degrade. I would either setup the manual trim option in the Intel toolbox....or swap over to MS AHCI drivers and get TRIM!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 6, 2010, 12:15 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry, I'm not following you. I did set the BIOS for AHCI. Does this mean that installing Intel Matrix storage Manager driver screws this up? Should I uninstall the Intel Matrix storage Manager driver? I am also confused about the Intel tool box and how to access it? How do I find MS AHCI drivers?
Thanks
Jim
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Intel i7 860 - Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet - 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V - Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 1Tb - Corsair TX750W - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb GDDR5 - DVD Drives X2 LG GH24LS50 - Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced - Win 7 Pro 64
Old February 6, 2010, 12:22 PM

There are three PROVEN parts to getting TRIM to work. 1 and 2 you have done (have a TRIM capable SSD & use AHCI) unfortunately, the AHCI driver has to be capable of passing on the TRIM command that the OS sends. Intel has been very slow on updating their drivers and in particular there is a good chance the matrix drivers never will be updated. You need to change the AHCI driver you are using from Intel back to the MS default AHCI driver.

You can download the Intel SSD Toolbox here:
Intel(R) Redirect

It has been awhile since I played with the toolbox, but IIRC the option to setup a manual trim is under the tools option and is called SSD Optimizer. You can set it up to run as often as you like, whenever you like. IIRC Intel recoemends once daily cleaining. However, when / IF you are running MS AHCI drivers you will only have to do this one to "clean" your drive and then the OS via automatic TRIM will keep it clean for you. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 6, 2010, 12:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

It has been awhile since I played with the toolbox, but IIRC the option to setup a manual trim is under the tools option and is called SSD Optimizer. You can set it up to run as often as you like, whenever you like.
honestly since AkG told US about , I do it manually, when i think about it.

you click on SSD Management tools tab

and after you can schedule or run

Old February 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

" You need to change the AHCI driver you are using from Intel back to the MS default AHCI driver. "

Ok I downloaded the tool box and installed it but where do I find what AHCI drivers I'm presently using? Also where are the MS AHCI drivers and how do I load them? By the way the Intel Matrix Storage driver and the Marvel AHCI driver were loaded from the ASUS MB disk. Should I uninstall the intel Matrix driver?
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Last edited by GMJim; February 6, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IIRC, Intel Matrix drivers DONT support trim. This means that even though you are in AHCI mode ( I assume since you are not running a RAID) your SSD will degrade. I would either setup the manual trim option in the Intel toolbox....or swap over to MS AHCI drivers and get TRIM!

AKG
Sorry I just reread this and I don't have my SSD plugged into either of the two SATA ports with the Marvel controller. It's plugged into one the 6 SATA ports described here from the spec sheet. (Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10)

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Could you please have a look at my previous post regarding the uninstall of the Intel Matrix Storage driver and the MS AHCI drivers?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jim
Old February 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
Top Prospect

AKG and Mark one

I messed up here. I originally said I installed Intel Matrix Storage driver. I'm wrong. What I meant to say is that I installed Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM Utility. It appears that this is just a utility to create a RAID. Could it be that installing this installed the
Intel Matrix Storage driver as well? Anyway I uninstalled it from the add/remove programs list. I have also checked the device manager and I have the msahci.sys in the driver list.

Here is what I find for the driver details in

Intel (R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 6 Port

C:/Windows|System32\Drivers\atapi.sys
" ......." .........." ............"........ \ataport.sys
" ......."..........." ............"....... \msahci.sys
" ......." .........." ............"....... \pciidex.sys

Sorry for the bold type. I tried to un bold the font but for some reason it's not working.
Once again I really appreciate the help.
Jim

Last edited by GMJim; February 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:01 PM
Top Prospect

I read this on an ASUS Forum. Not that I'm questioning the advice I was given here (BTW my system appears to be running well for what it's worth MS Windows experience index 7.5). I'm just trying to sort out all the opinions.

Thread from ASUS forum

The Intel AHCI drivers are updated very regularly. The MS AHCI drivers are not. The default MS AHCI drivers are I believe from 2006 from when Vista was released. The latest Intel AHCI drivers are from Nov 2009.

MS makes generic AHCI drivers that work with all SATA AHCI controllers (Marvell, Intel, AMD, Silicon Image, JMicron, ...). MS doesn't optimize their driver for each specific manufacturer / each specific controller.

The Intel AHCI drivers are optimized for ALL Intel AHCI controllers plus they are updated much more frequently and therefore are better.

Does this sound accurate?
Thanks
Jim
Old February 9, 2010, 03:16 PM

In general yes they are updated more frequently (not going to touch the "optimization" bit), BUT they wont pass on the TRIM command....therefore for your needs they are inferior. ;)
IF Intel gets on the ball and updates them to pass on the TRIM command...maybe then it will be worth the effort switching, but for right now you are using (MS AHCI) drivers that do what you want them to do and that is keep your SSD from getting into a degraded state. Everything else is IMHO irrelevant or at least of secondary (or tertiary) importance to that.

Other than that, it looks like you are good to go. :)

Last edited by AkG; February 9, 2010 at 03:22 PM.