Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Work only computer

Hiya guys, need some help with my current project of creating a "work related only" unit.
I am currently using windows Xp pro as the base O/S. Right now I have installed deep freeze and anti executable. This will make sure the computer is always in tip top condition and people from installing crap on the PC.
1) I want to prevent user from accessing web pages but still able to open certain websites, is this possible what programs can i use?
2) I have installed thunderbird is there anyway to prevent people from creating their own account/ tamper with the settings?
3) I need to prevent people from using the computer as their personal storage, is there a way to prevent people from putting their files onto the computer?
4) in relation to thunderbird as the mail client is there a way to allow it to save files wihile also complying to number 3?
that's all for now, hopefully someone can help me with these questions. Thank You very much.
Cheers.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
F@H

I honestly know anyone of the software you name....I hope they don't bring more crap than you thing they will remove or block ... for your internet restriction I use a server for it , with something like Microsoft ISA it's a service integrate with some Microsoft server, or you have quite a fiew Linux server app for this. You can build a proxy server, Microsoft small business server have thing build in for it too . Sorry I don't know other thing.. I'm use to block school computers not only one , not the same budget and the same equipment . if you want to limit user on their computer , you use the policy editor. Don't ask me on a tread to explain how it work.. You make me freak with the list of thing you install in the same PC. it will create you only problem for sure..
Old February 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is this just one workstation? Frankly, I doubt it's worth all that effort. First you need to install and configure all the protection software then you need to maintain it then you need to fix it when it inevitably breaks. It might just be a lot easier to blast a Ghost image onto your workstation every time your 'users' mess it up. Unless your employees are monkeys the chances are someone will be smart enough to get around whatever restrictions you put in place. Locks only deter the honest and a motivated criminal will generally succeed. Sorry that's not the answer you are looking for.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

deep freeze is a good piece of software, I would assume Anti-exe is too, but we never implemented it on our systems at school. Deep freeze helped alot though. Ignore MarkOne, he's obviously never had to manage a fleet of public use computers! :P

otherwise, I think Jack Rabbit has the best solution. we used to re-image the library computers like every other night, automagically. The smart ones always find a way anyways.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
F@H

Ignore me ... ya I have better project waiting for me than argue here...
Old February 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

For what you're doing, do you really need Windows XP? ie: Couldn't you go with a Linux distro which contains the applications you want? This way the opportunity for crap to get installed would be minimized.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Faronics products. Deep Freezed (frozen?) computers in a Domain environment fall of the domain when the computer account password changes after 30 days and gets reset back to the frozen state. There's a registry patch which stops the computer password from ever expiring updating, but frankly it's a sucky way of doing it. I've had good luck with Windows Steadystate, which is free.

Why use Thunderbird at all? Wouldn't webmail be easier on a kiosk like what you're trying to set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_jo View Post
Hiya guys, need some help with my current project of creating a "work related only" unit.
I am currently using windows Xp pro as the base O/S. Right now I have installed deep freeze and anti executable. This will make sure the computer is always in tip top condition and people from installing crap on the PC.
1) I want to prevent user from accessing web pages but still able to open certain websites, is this possible what programs can i use?
2) I have installed thunderbird is there anyway to prevent people from creating their own account/ tamper with the settings?
3) I need to prevent people from using the computer as their personal storage, is there a way to prevent people from putting their files onto the computer?
4) in relation to thunderbird as the mail client is there a way to allow it to save files wihile also complying to number 3?
that's all for now, hopefully someone can help me with these questions. Thank You very much.
Cheers.