Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What OS to Install on a Pentium 4 @ 1.5Ghz?

I'm currently running Windows XP and I'm thinking of formatting the computer as it's hella slow to the point where it takes over 10 minutes to just boot up. I'm thinking of giving Linux a try, but there's so many different Linux OS out there. I've heard about openSUSE from my friend but that's about it. However, there are 3 requirements that must be met if I use Linux and I've never used it or heard much about it before.

1. A BT download program that works with Linux. I asked before but lost the forum thread for it

2. Can I still share folders? I have TVB dramas that I watch on the other computers as this computer is mainly for BTing my dramas.

3. Antispyware and Antivirus program needed?

System specs are the following:

Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.5Ghz
256MB RAMBUS
80GB and 160GB hard drive
Intel motherboard
NVIDIA MX4000

Thanks!
Old January 22, 2010, 07:51 PM
Banned
F@H

you don't have a lot of memory, many distro of Linux like more memory
Old January 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
Allstar

1. A BT download program that works with Linux. I asked before but lost the forum thread for it
Yes most distros include this.

2. Can I still share folders? I have TVB dramas that I watch on the other computers as this computer is mainly for BTing my dramas.
You can with samba which is sometimes included but can be downloaded and installed for free.

3. Antispyware and Antivirus program needed? NO

Go RamBus

Would be good if you had 512MB or 1GB of ram ...

Start reading here ...
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Here is one that would run for sure ...
DistroWatch.com: Puppy Linux
But it's not your typical distro.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm seems that it would work, but more RAM would be better... Can't be as bloating as Windows XP now can it?

Which Linux OS would you recommend if I was to go this route? Ubuntu and OpenSUSE seems to be the best so far, looking like everything should work fine...
Old January 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Hmm seems that it would work, but more RAM would be better... Can't be as bloating as Windows XP now can it?

Which Linux OS would you recommend if I was to go this route? Ubuntu and OpenSUSE seems to be the best so far, looking like everything should work fine...
Based on ubuntu ...

DistroWatch.com: Linux Mint

Mint has most everything working out of the box ... like mp3's, watching xVid's etc.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just use 7 i put it on a really old pentium 3 733mhz to see how it would do and the person wants me to leave it they love it and say it works way better then it every did.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
just use 7 i put it on a really old pentium 3 733mhz to see how it would do and the person wants me to leave it they love it and say it works way better then it every did.
What? You ran Windows 7 on a Pentium 3? What version did you use?
Old January 23, 2010, 07:14 AM
MVP

lack of RAM is your main problem and being careful to not have programs loading on startup will also keep it responding satisfactorily.
Old January 23, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just ran the basic i think. i will talking to them later today and will find out but she loves the results the only difference i can see is she has 512 mb. pretty sure it was basic but it has given this old piece of junk which they thought they had to replace a new life fro all the basic needs movie/intenet/music i mean it's still a pentium 3
Old January 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend just installing xp on it. My brother was using a P2 with about 256MB of ram and had no issues running xp for years until the thing designed to die last week. I could also see Win7 work if you turned off the extra features such as aero.