Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2010, 09:54 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What? You ran Windows 7 on a Pentium 3? What version did you use?
Windows 7 and Vista won't install unless you have at least 512MB of RAM in the system, so you can rule out those options right away unless you can find some more RDRAM.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Hmm seems that it would work, but more RAM would be better... Can't be as bloating as Windows XP now can it?

Which Linux OS would you recommend if I was to go this route? Ubuntu and OpenSUSE seems to be the best so far, looking like everything should work fine...
Xubuntu is geared more towards older systems so it should be pretty snappy on the specs you've listed. OpenSUSE is actually the bloated whore of the Linux world, I had it in vmware for about 20 minutes before I said GET OUT If anything, there's nothing wrong with running something like Xubuntu which has a lesser learning curve than some of the other distro's, and their support forums are a giant wealth of information for newer linux users.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old January 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

With 256MB of memory... Damn Small Linux would probably be the snappiest on it.
Bottom line memory requirement of DSL - 16MB
Optimal memory requirement of DSL - 128MB

Definitely not as feature-packed as any of the mainstream distros, but DSL runs on pretty much anything.
Old January 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Spent some time looking to install Windows 7 with just 256MB. Gave up afterwards. Tried installing Ubuntu but I got stuck at the installation step and I don't really feel like learning how to use a new OS. Gonna go back to Windows XP....
Old January 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perhaps if you can get some cheap RAMBUS ram, it will help with your current set up.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old January 23, 2010, 09:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Run Windows XP through nLite. Strip out anything that you deem unnecessary.

If done decently, you can get XP running on well under 100MB of memory on a fresh start.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

If you don't want to learn how to use a new OS (or more like a new OS 'family'), then, of course, I guess the best pick would be Windows XP.

That said, Linux based OS would also have done the job. I'm running a headless (i.e. without monitor) Arch Linux install on an old Pentium III, with a recent kernel (2.6.32) and some basic daemons, and it only takes 18 MiB of RAM with one user logged in via ssh. After starting my BitTorrent client (rtorrent inside GNU screen), it takes around 22 MiB of RAM.

But yeah, Windows XP has it's advantages, mostly simplicity, and it's in fact a great desktop OS IMO. Sharing a folder in Linux (via the SMB/CIFS protocol) from the command line is a bit more daunting the first time you do it then doing the same thing in Windows XP.

Old January 24, 2010, 10:28 AM
Banned
F@H

I have extra Rambus if you need them
Old January 25, 2010, 12:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Debian or FreeBSD with XFCE if you want a nice OS with a good desktop. Damn small linux based on debian would probably do the job really fine but it's a bit hack job and you maybe won't like it if you are not that used with linux and unscrewing yourself from some situations :P

You could try either fluxbox, fvwm2 or olwm if you know your way around a terminal instead of XFCE for debian and FreeBSD.

...or you could install windows and sleep on your computer to the sound of heavy swapping each time you dare to click on something