Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Making a game. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/28038-making-game.html)

nick_black January 21, 2010 09:55 AM

Making a game.

ok, this is going to be vauge, but I was thinking about tossing this Idea out there and seeing where it'll go.

I'm not exactly a pro software developer (very rudimentary C++ skills, decent Q-basic skills, and a fair amount of 3d designing skills)

but I think it would be fun to get a few people from here, some newbs and some "professionals" and get together and make a computer game. just something to do for fun, where newbies can learn, and experienced people get to have fun, and maybe also learn something from a different aspect of gameing that they never looked into before. and it would be a good opertunity to make some new friends too.

what do you guy's think about this Idea?
if you guy's like it, any Idea's how to go about doing it?

gerardfraser January 21, 2010 11:52 PM

Lots of info here
XNA Developer Center

XNA: Make your own XBOX games in 10 steps

XNA: Make your own XBOX games in 10 steps - FierceDeveloper

nick_black January 22, 2010 07:54 AM

thanks for the links.. but i wasn't looking for a place for me to learn.

I was looking for people to join in.

and in case people are wondering, i was thinking a 3d game, something that you would be able to see on a shelf in a store and be tempted to buy.

would it be more help if I post up a game Idea and see who would be interested in joining the project?'

shure, I could do it all myself, but i think it would be fun if I got a groop of people to all work at it together whether they have 0 experience, or if there fresh from EA games. just some place to have fun and just build a kick ass game.

Zero82z January 22, 2010 12:36 PM

You're seriously underestimating the amount of work and time that it takes to develop a full-blown 3D game, especially if you have very little or no experience. If you're really serious about getting into development, start out small, either with a 2D game or a very simple 3D engine, and work your way up to more complex tasks. If you try and jump right into a very complex game, it's just going to end up being too difficult for you and you'll have to give it up.

headsh0t January 22, 2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_black (Post 321769)
thanks for the links.. but i wasn't looking for a place for me to learn.

I was looking for people to join in.

and in case people are wondering, i was thinking a 3d game, something that you would be able to see on a shelf in a store and be tempted to buy.

would it be more help if I post up a game Idea and see who would be interested in joining the project?'

shure, I could do it all myself, but i think it would be fun if I got a groop of people to all work at it together whether they have 0 experience, or if there fresh from EA games. just some place to have fun and just build a kick ass game.

How many independant games do you see when you walk into EB games or any other game store?

Thund3rball January 22, 2010 01:33 PM

I would say start by modding or making maps. Making maps is probably the easiest way to get your toes wet. There's plenty of map making and modding tools nowadays like Crysis Sandbox, FC2 Map Editor, Source SDK, UDK (Unreal Dev Kit) etc etc...

And if you are serious about actually making a game than there's lots to be learned from XNA. It will help hold your hand into many of the underlying priciples and logic of game design. Heck even simple Flash games are a sh1tload of work. You really need to start small. If you have an idea, focus on the basic mechanic of the idea and make a mini game out of it.

You may also want to check out some modding communities and try and get involved there. I am not sure what kind of response you'd get from here?

nick_black January 22, 2010 02:09 PM

Zero: I'm quite aware actually, that's why i was thinking getting a groop of people. (hence why I'm posting here)

HeadS0t: lol, figuratively speaking of course :p (its a bummer though, I wish more places would support good indie work)

Thunderball: sandboxes anyone can do, it doesn't give the feeling of saying "hey, all this work is my own"
and I'm already self teaching myself DirectX, at least i can use that in the industry. (hence why I learned C++)
i don't want to make a game for myself, i want to get a groop of eager people to make a great game.
I've allready made some 3d games in Dark basic, 2d games in game maker, and Q-basic. but i know it can be taken to a complete diffrent level with a groop of people, all with thier own Idea's and brances of knowledge.

thenewguy001 January 22, 2010 02:24 PM

If you're going to be working on this as a weekend hobby with a bunch of other amateur hobbyists then don't expect to have anything remotely resembling something that can go on store shelves within 5-10 years. The average time it takes to churn out a game from a professional development studio with dozens of competent staff is 2 years. There's a reason they invest millions and set tight deadlines. If you don't get the work done fast then your game is going to be outdated technologically before it even comes out.

If you're building your own game from scratch then it means you have to build the engine dev tools before you can create the game itself. As mentioned previously, it'd be better to start modding a commercial game with a large community. Games with a working engine and software development kit make it much easier for you to just jump into the creative design aspect without worrying about the technical stuff too much.

or if you want to make money out of this make flash games you can license to websites.

Zero82z January 22, 2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_black (Post 321871)
Zero: I'm quite aware actually, that's why i was thinking getting a groop of people. (hence why I'm posting here)

If by "group" you meant 50 experienced developers, then that would be okay. Except I doubt that you'll find that here. And that's not even considering the kind of budget you'd need. I believe most of the bigger releases have budgets in the $10-50 million range. Otherwise, don't expect to be making a AAA game any time soon. You have to walk before you can run.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going into game development if it's really a passion of yours. However, if you're serious about it, then start learning about development on your own, and wait until you actually know what you're doing before you try and jump into a project like this. Otherwise, it just isn't going to work.

Take a look at the Unreal Development Kit if you want to play around with professional engine tools: Unreal Development Kit

nick_black January 24, 2010 09:04 AM

Guess I'll just do it solo then :)