Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows XP and hardware upgrades.

I have a licensed copy of Windows XP x64 edition.
And as some of you know I have a work log with my new system being built. I dismantled my old machine and did nothing to the HDD...
I want to know FOR sure, if when I turn my system on with the same HDD with my windows xp, and the new motherboard and processor. that I will not have microsoft on me saying something stupid like this is illegal.
I would e-mail some tech support off the microsoft website but they actually expect me to PAY FOR IT!!!

now I have the understanding that windows license lock themselves onto the motherboard, HDD, and or graphics card. I THINK.

PLEASE someone send me some relief.:help:

*should of never bought windows
Old October 5, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post
I have a licensed copy of Windows XP x64 edition.
And as some of you know I have a work log with my new system being built. I dismantled my old machine and did nothing to the HDD...
I want to know FOR sure, if when I turn my system on with the same HDD with my windows xp, and the new motherboard and processor. that I will not have microsoft on me saying something stupid like this is illegal.
I would e-mail some tech support off the microsoft website but they actually expect me to PAY FOR IT!!!

now I have the understanding that windows license lock themselves onto the motherboard, HDD, and or graphics card. I THINK.

PLEASE someone send me some relief.:help:

*should of never bought windows
Windows has a 5 or 7 major hardware change before requiring activation so you should be fine.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Swapping the CPU and Motherboard will definitely trigger a re-activation. I have gone through this countless time.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old October 5, 2007, 11:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

So I will just have to verify that I am the owner?
Old October 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
So I will just have to verify that I am the owner?
I would just call their phone activation system, enter your product key and see if it takes; if not, explain to the CSR that you put a new CPU in and they should activate it.

I had to call microsoft last night to get my Vista activated for about the 6'th time, takes about 6-7 minutes in total.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old October 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Does anyone here want to go burn microsoft.
Old October 5, 2007, 02:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes, but for reasons related to Windows Millenium Edition II (a.k.a. Vista)
Old October 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Actually as much as I hate to admit it, M$ gets a thumbs up from me for the fact that OEM versions of home still work after complete upgrades.

I have to call for most of my upgrades, but strangely enough my last install only required me to "talk to the robot" as there were no hardware changes.

My only real complaint is the requirement to call no matter what after "X" # of installs even if the hardware is the same as it was when first installed.

AFAIC, it's almost like a penalty for wanting to have a clean version of XP on your system.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
I would just call their phone activation system, enter your product key and see if it takes; if not, explain to the CSR that you put a new CPU in and they should activate it.

I had to call microsoft last night to get my Vista activated for about the 6'th time, takes about 6-7 minutes in total.

You should not be getting a live person any more. You should be answering a voice prompt first. this is the reason for the "Windows Update Silent Update" that some have been complaining about as of late.

Also of note is that if the chipset is different than your first board, there's a good chance that windows won't load at all, depending on where the drive controller was located on the old board VS the new board...
Old October 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
Allstar

I just use an activation bypass ... I've been running my copy of Windows XP Home for like 5 years on 3 different computers :P