Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2007, 10:57 PM
Banned
F@H

NO need for any bypass...I've run the same key on every single motherboard I have had in the last ...oh...5 years, from an EMachines SKT-A box. It's been on at least 30 different configs, 8 different harddrives, and each time I've jsut called them up, got my code, and been on my merry way...
Old October 6, 2007, 06:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
NO need for any bypass...I've run the same key on every single motherboard I have had in the last ...oh...5 years, from an EMachines SKT-A box. It's been on at least 30 different configs, 8 different harddrives, and each time I've jsut called them up, got my code, and been on my merry way...
Same here.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 6, 2007, 06:46 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ditto. Countless times. Had to talk to a human once or twice.
Old October 6, 2007, 07:22 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

I believe there is also a time parameter involved ... if you haven't installed/ activated it within 6 mos or so activation should work normally regardless of hardware changes.

On the mobo differences ... if the chipset is changed you my may have to do a repair if windows won't boot ... after windows installer detects your existing wxp it will ask if you want to repair existing install ... answer yes and it will save you having to reinstall all your apps.

Of course if you want an absolutely clean install, do a format and install it fresh ... but this is a lot more work if you have a lot of apps to install and update.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
You should not be getting a live person any more. You should be answering a voice prompt first. this is the reason for the "Windows Update Silent Update" that some have been complaining about as of late.

Also of note is that if the chipset is different than your first board, there's a good chance that windows won't load at all, depending on where the drive controller was located on the old board VS the new board...
I have to do the phone activation after I enter my key and get a "Sorry, this key is already in use message". Then I have to type a huge string out on the phone only to be given the same message again, then I finally get to talk to some csr in India.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old October 9, 2007, 06:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

OH that would make my day. India is the last place I want my tech support to come from. Sadly 90% of any tech support is there..:(
I would feel better walking into the Toronto office.
Old November 11, 2007, 01:22 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Bypass takes less time than phoning up MS ... and the less time, the better, IMO ...
Old November 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just built another computer here with parts I had around here, and I used my windows XP MCE05 copy that was on this computer that I used to upgrade to Vista from- I was worried that there might be some sort of problems with this one if I used the license number on th eother computer, but no problems that I can see. I did the clean istall trick with the Vista upgrade DVD, so I wonder if that's why the license number is free and clear.
Old January 6, 2008, 08:59 AM
MVP

Lightbulb

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
Good site.

Details on product activation for XP with newest changes.

This guy goes over it in laymens terms pretty much.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9