Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Default how can i defrag page files?

Hi guys,
i am trying to do some house cleaning on my laptop. when i defrag the page files will not defragment, how can i clean these up, or delete them if it is safe to do so.
cheers
pz
Old January 14, 2010, 05:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUBZOMBIE View Post
Hi guys,
i am trying to do some house cleaning on my laptop. when i defrag the page files will not defragment, how can i clean these up, or delete them if it is safe to do so.
cheers
pz
lol what?!?

Seriously since you are running windows, just restart it if you think the pagefile has become too big and is slowing down your laptop. Touching swap space of any OS would probably just result in instability or ye olde OS panicking

If you were on linux I would just tell you to swapoff, redo swap partition and remount the swap but on windows, restart.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sysinternals FTW. To bad MS bought them and basically killed em.

Here ya go. Pagedefrag:

PageDefrag

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sysinternals FTW. To bad MS bought them and basically killed em.

And at the risk of looking a bit stupid, does that thing even work when the OS start swapping a lot? I mean no instability whatsoever? o_O
Old January 14, 2010, 06:18 PM

It will basically do its thing BEFORE the system is up and running. Nice thing is it tells you how fragemented the pagefile is and if you want to defrag on next reboot...or every reboot. Simple and easy to use :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Setting the swap space to 0M then turning it back on will do it. You will have to reboot to make the change. Setting it to a fixed size (both max and min the same) will prevent Windows from fragmenting it.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:20 PM

Even if you set it to a fixed size....it WILL fragment. Just more slowly.

Old January 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 to Jack Rabbit's suggestion - that's what I do when I first set up Windows or if I move the page file to another drive

When I am being paranoid I use a BartPE disk Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD that I preload with MyDefrag (aka JkDefrag) MyDefrag v4.2.7 to perform the defragmentation, so I can get at all the stuff Windows locks out while it is running (hibernation file, system restore, etc).

BTW does PageDefrag work on Win7 / Vista now? When I tried it in the past, my computer would restart but no defrag would happen.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:26 PM

Unforuntaly, no. Pagedefrag and all the other systinternal goodies are for XP only. Like I said those SOB's at redmond bought them out and killed em (though IIRC the main programmers are still working at MS).

Old January 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It will basically do its thing BEFORE the system is up and running. Nice thing is it tells you how fragemented the pagefile is and if you want to defrag on next reboot...or every reboot. Simple and easy to use :)
Waiwaiwaiwait... what?

Is it just me or that doesn't make any sense? Why would you fragment something at startup when the pagefile is supposed to be 'clean'? o_O