Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

the paging files doesn't "erase" each time the computer is rebooted, afaik. it's a static "file".
Old January 15, 2010, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

There was a windows tweak for faster boot up...clears out the pagefile on shutdown. I just wish I could remember where I put it <scratching head>. Basically, don't have to defrag unless you don't reboot for a while and when you do just restart your machien and he pagefile is cleared out ;)

What page size would you use based on ram? Is the standard twice the amount of ram?
Old January 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Waiwaiwaiwait... what?

Is it just me or that doesn't make any sense? Why would you fragment something at startup when the pagefile is supposed to be 'clean'? o_O
Sigh....no comment. Either you know how the pagefile works or you dont.

Snafu, yeah its a reg hack. Search for "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" and you will find what you are looking for ;)

As for size....there is a whole punch of formulas dif peeps use for "optimum" pagefile size. My rule of thumb was to double the size of the ram and use that. Others say 1.5x. YMMV. Where hdd space is so cheap now it doesn't really matter all that much if some is "wasted" on pagefile so now I just set to a nice round number like 10GB.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2010, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

Ah, that's it. Thanks! Now instead of needing to defrag the pagefile I just reboot.

And thanks for the pagefile size recommendation. I think I set mine at 2x ram but I just expanded my ram so I will up the pagefile size.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sigh....no comment. Either you know how the pagefile works or you dont.

Snafu, yeah its a reg hack. Search for "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" and you will find what you are looking for ;)

As for size....there is a whole punch of formulas dif peeps use for "optimum" pagefile size. My rule of thumb was to double the size of the ram and use that. Others say 1.5x. YMMV. Where hdd space is so cheap now it doesn't really matter all that much if some is "wasted" on pagefile so now I just set to a nice round number like 10GB.
Hmm, I always thought it was working like swap (?) o_O

Does it actually keep the swapped memory at bootup and doesn't clean it before finishing booting? o_O