Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2010, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Default new install of Vista 64 wont defrag and reports damage

Hi guys,
RIGHT I have had enough of Vista 64 after 4 days.
I copied all my files to my primary HDD and vista install.
I then formatted the other drive to get rid of old system files from an old install and build.
so far so good.
I then copied all the files from the primary HDD with Vista 64 on it to my second drive.
I then installed O&O Defrag 10. Applied and got a free licence.
I then ran a full analysis and defrag [tried all the different defrag options]
The primary disk reports at being 33% fragmented!!!!!!!! after running multiple defrags.
I then ran O&O Check Drive program and it reports DAMAGED FILE SYSTEM.
I have run windows scan disk on reboot and asked it to fix errors - it reported no errors.
O&O still reprts errors and wont defrag below 33% - it looks a total mess.
Anybody know what is going on here?

thanxs guys
i really could punch Mr Windows Vista right in the kisser
steve

Last edited by PUBZOMBIE; January 13, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUBZOMBIE View Post
I then copied all the files from the primary HDD with Vista 64 on it to my second drive.
I'm a little confused with what you did with all your hard drives... Did you copy SYSTEM FILES between the two drives, e.g. copy paste *everything* from C:\ to D:\? If so, I'm surprised your system is even bootable since there are some things that Windows refuses to copy over. If you want to do such a copy, you should use drive imaging or cloning software (e.g. Acronis or Windows Complete PC Backup if you have Business/Ultimate) so everything is transferred correctly.

Assuming you didn't try the impossible and your last copy was just your non-system data from the OS drive to your secondary, you should try Chkdsk again with "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked, or check that your hard drive is not actually damaged. I've owned hard drives dodgey enough that they died when I tried to install an OS on them, or defrag them *cough*Fujitsu*cough*.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUBZOMBIE View Post
Hi guys,
RIGHT I have had enough of Vista 64 after 4 days.
Can someone explain me what he did.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
MVP
F@H

I would try a different 3rd party defragger (Auslogic comes to mind) or as frontier204 said, you may have so many bad sectors that Mr. Vista is not amused. I use Spinrite (from GRC, and not freeware ) for sector/data recovery with remarkable results. YMMV.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rookie

HI guys
sorry for the confusion.
the problem was caused by old system files from a previous install on the old drive that i copied all over the place. problem solved with a nice new copy of windows 7
thanx dudes