Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows Live Messenger Kicking Me Out Due to Signing In at Elsewhere

So it started happening a few days ago. Once in a while, I'll be on Windows Live Messenger and I'll get kicked out with a popup from WLM saying that I got signed in at another place. I promptly changed the password after I signed back in, thinking I got hacked. However I still got kicked out so I changed back to the original password. I tried unchecking "Sign me out of all other places when I sign into Messenger" and now I don't get kicked out of WLM, but it will say that I'm being signed in somewhere else.

Is there a way for me to check where I'm signed in at other than my own computer? I've seen it before but I can't seem to get that Window to open for some reason.

Also is there a way to contact Microsoft about this? I searched Google and Bing but I can't find anything.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're running a newer version of messenger it's possible that both you and the "other" will get the same messages. However, it will tell you the "computer name" of where the other "you" is signed in.

I'd recommend changing your password to something totally whacky, like my nick, or something.

Most times I've seen this happen though if from people who give away their password to a web service with a promise it will tell them who has them blocked. They consequently use your password/account and sent spam messages out about Acai berry juice or something stupid like that. A change of the password will fix it

It is possible, however, that you're signed into WM on a portable device like your phone though, so look into that....
Old January 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm supposedly using the latest version of WLM, but it just doesn't show the computer name where the other "me" is signed in. I installed Windows 7 under a month ago, so I should have the latest version.

Changing the password... I should also change everything else that I use with this password. I have a couple passwords in use too, some safe, some weaker, etc.

Ya I've been getting a bit of spam mail lately. Like one spam e-mail every 2 or 3 days. Never got them before....
Old January 12, 2010, 02:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
If you're running a newer version of messenger it's possible that both you and the "other" will get the same messages. However, it will tell you the "computer name" of where the other "you" is signed in.

I'd recommend changing your password to something totally whacky, like my nick, or something.

Most times I've seen this happen though if from people who give away their password to a web service with a promise it will tell them who has them blocked. They consequently use your password/account and sent spam messages out about Acai berry juice or something stupid like that. A change of the password will fix it

It is possible, however, that you're signed into WM on a portable device like your phone though, so look into that....
I agree. It sounds like your account has been compromised. Change your password and it should go away.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Changed a password AGAIN to one that I don't use, still getting the same thing. Maybe my WLM is glitched... My e-mail account or anything using a similar/same password doesn't seem to have been tampered with.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's a bill gates conspiracy to get you to upgrade (not sure what he wants you to upgrade to, but that's my theory)......

I'm still siding with the "it's installed on a different pc, or tied to a different application" theory.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's happening more frequently now... I'm going to change the password one last time. If it doesn't help, I'm doing clean install of WLM.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have WLM on your phone? My Blackberry signs in sometimes.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do have WLM on my phone, but WiFi is off. My phone is a "grey-market" phone and I don't have a data plan so I didn't bother setting it up for data usage.
Old January 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok clean installing WLM temporarily solved it, but the problem is coming back. I think it only happens on my PC but I'm not sure. I'm going to test it out on the laptop and see if I get kicked out because I'm signed in somewhere else.

Btw, it's not saying that I'm getting signed in on an older version of WLM, which none of my computers use except for maybe my phone. However my phone is off...