Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am having problems with nvidias driver. I downloaded the newest driver for vista 64bit and then I get some stupid error saying it is not a compatible win32 application or something like that. For now I am staying in XP. Vista is just crap. I like it but just a few things bug me. And they almost bug me enough to uninstall vista and maybe return it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 5, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Again, no issues here with 64-bit Vista Premium. Is there something you overlooked? I have yet to have a single issue and if you ask me 64-bit is running my games better and just plain works better. I have also left UAC going with no problems, just the occasional "allow" stuff.
Old October 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I get that crap sometimes too, Kernel-mode software has to have a digital signature to load on x64-based os. You can use test signing and such, details here: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../kmsigning.doc

My Vista OS is also screwy now. I get flashes as if my video drivers arent working properly even tho i got the latest from nvidia for vista 64bit. If I boot to XP it's 100% fine. Grrr.
Old October 5, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just built a machine with Vista 64bit and when I had all 4gb of memory installed in it the install would BSOD. I went and investigated and it turns out some 64bit installs need a "hotfix" for it to work properly with 4gb of memory.. wtf is that crap!

Also the same machine was hit with the "deactivation hotfix bug" and I had to system restore the machine to get it to work properly again.
Old October 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Where is this hotfix you speak of?
Old October 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Where is this hotfix you speak of?
Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
Old October 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is your point? Windows XP barely ran for the first 6 months it was released and it has had hundred of fixes over the years plus 2 major service packs. Irregardless of these "issues", once it is set up and running it works great.
Old October 5, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
What is your point? Windows XP barely ran for the first 6 months it was released and it has had hundred of fixes over the years plus 2 major service packs. Irregardless of these "issues", once it is set up and running it works great.
My point is this: They are expecting to want to run Vista 32bit or Vista 64bit but a person with no computer knowledge would have no absolute idea how to fix this problem and would end up having to spend money to fix a simple solution.

Yes I'm aware XP was brutal in its early days but I really don't think 32bit or 64bit Vista is ready for the public yet because I mean if you can't just put 4gb of memory into a 64bit system without it crashing thats a pretty sad thing is it not? I mean not everyone has access to the internet or know what to look for.

And Vista shouldn't have to be "setup" like this you should be able to just install the OS, plug in everything and go. While this didn't happen with XP either, XP didn't have a 64bit contender to deal with when it first arrived and it goes back to a statement I said long ago that 64bit is not ready for the public eye yet.
Old October 5, 2007, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I fully agree that there is no logical reason stuff like this is not working right out of the box. Also, the normal user would have been lost with all the trouble I was having with just installing the 64 Bit version. I am using the upgrade version which does make it more difficult, but man, google was my friend.
Old October 5, 2007, 09:54 PM
Allstar

64-bit may not be ready for public, but it's getting to a point where it's necessary as far as memory requirements go.