Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Default Win 7 legal question

From what I have read the win 7 upgrade can be used as a full install. You are only supposed to use it if you are upgrading a qualifying version of windows. If I'm retiring/recycling my old XP machine and building a new one would it be legal for me to use the win 7 upgrade on my computer since I technically have a prior version? How would it be any different then slowly updating my old computer with all new parts?
Old December 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
Banned
F@H

I don't read the licence , but I'm pretty sure that if the XP was a OEM you can't transfer it to a new PC. Now if you re use some part ... and since it's not use anymore in another PC....
Old December 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

basicly the OEM licence is stuck to the motherboard as thats really the center of your pc. but if you call M$ and tell them you had to replace a dead motherboard they might let you reactivate your OEM licence, thats what has gotten me by with some systems.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
Allstar

Here's a ? that might help Xargon too, I'm wondering that if I was to buy the win 7 upgrade and had an owned xp retail or oem in a box somewere in the house that wasn't installed, do I need the xp key # when doing a clean win7 upgrade install on a computer that has NO operating system on it at all?

The reason I ask is because I can't seem to find a straight answer besides the "supposed to" , I just don't see the point of installing an owned copy of xp to do an upgrade to win 7 but do I need to punch in an xp product key sometime during the win 7 upgrade install?
Old January 10, 2010, 10:34 AM

My System Specs

You don't need any previous key. Do a clean install of Win7, then perform an upgrade. It is easy as that.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you can not upgrade XP home to win 7.

you will only be able to do a clean install of win 7 if you got xp.

but for those of you using vista it is possible to pop the win 7 upgrade. but a clean installed is recommended.

And when you upgrade from vista, your key gets sent to microsoft and that key gets canned.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
MVP

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths - FAQ - Windows 7 Forums
Old January 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
you can not upgrade XP home to win 7.

you will only be able to do a clean install of win 7 if you got xp.

but for those of you using vista it is possible to pop the win 7 upgrade. but a clean installed is recommended.

And when you upgrade from vista, your key gets sent to microsoft and that key gets canned.
It is possible. You just have to edit this file that's in the ISO. Google around.
Old January 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
It is possible. You just have to edit this file that's in the ISO. Google around.
seriously man, stop posting FUD.

you would only need to edit the upgrade disc if you want to install a fresh clean version of window 7 from the upgrade disc.

And ones again window 7 upgrade is only upgradeable on Vista. All XP users requires a clean install.

Last edited by Silvgearx; January 11, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
seriously man, stop posting FUD.

you would only need to edit the upgrade disc if you want to install a fresh clean version of window 7 from the upgrade disc.

And ones again window 7 upgrade is only upgradeable on Vista. All XP users requires a clean install.

I swear you can. I saw something like this before online but I can't find it. If I can find it, I'll post it.