Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 01:07 AM
Top Prospect

I agree, RPM Hell almost made me swear off Redhat based distros altogether, but modern package managers have changed all that for some time. I'd say Yum under Fedora is as almost as fast as apt-get under Debian these days.

Redhat also does a lot of good for open source in general. They buy closed source projects and open them, which everyone benefits from.

Really though, when all Linux is free, none of them are really in competition with one another for anything but market share. Any clear advantage one distro has another generally makes it's way into all of them after a while. Except Ubuntu and their poopy brown theme, nobody else seems to adopt that. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally.. RPMs are the worst.

Debian made a HUGE leap when they started coming out with package management when slackware was still in its infancy and become on of the main distros to contend with.

Currently Ubuntu is even based off Debian as well as quite a few others.. why? Simplicity.

Redhat which was before Fedora had the utmost horrible system setup for RPMs and left a major sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths and to this day I won't touch a distro based off Redhat/Fedora
Old January 19, 2010, 01:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
I agree, RPM Hell almost made me swear off Redhat based distros altogether, but modern package managers have changed all that for some time. I'd say Yum under Fedora is as almost as fast as apt-get under Debian these days.

Redhat also does a lot of good for open source in general. They buy closed source projects and open them, which everyone benefits from.

Really though, when all Linux is free, none of them are really in competition with one another for anything but market share. Any clear advantage one distro has another generally makes it's way into all of them after a while. Except Ubuntu and their poopy brown theme, nobody else seems to adopt that. :)
For me, it's actually the main reason why I am not touching RH with a 40 foot pole. I know some people who were not agreeing with me and thought that RPM were great... until I showed them what a more centralized and WAY better packaging system looks like and that was the OpenBSD and FreeBSD pkg_* package installer. They understood pretty quick that rpm was pure camel ****
Heck I think I prefer using the ports system to compile anything that could take up hours than to rage and *headdesk* continuously because I would have been caught in a dependency hell.

The other reason I don't like RH is because it's to 'microsofty' for my taste. I usually don't use any unix based system for 'web browsing' and other 'internet' use like that, I use it for programming and for screwing around with server and security software, if I have to use windows I will use windows.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:18 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you give it a go, please let us know how you make out getting a printer to play nice......

Now that they've mostly resolved the issues they used to have with wireless cards, printers (and scanners I suppose) are the next frontier. I tried to get Ubuntu to play nice with a Brother all-in-one a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare even though linux drivers were provided by the manufacturer.
Considering i use my netboom with ubuntu only at university, i won't need a printer... i'll just transfer files to their computers for printing. I have to, actually.