Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
same here... you need only basic network knowledge... Windows, MAC, Wii. Desbian Ipod ...what ever it's all the same
Pretty much.

And since they introduced ndiswrapper and a few others wireless and wired cards work MUCH better.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:14 AM
Allstar

Ok, here's an update. Tried Easy peasy, worked.... ok. Just ok. Had difficulty to install other applications (mostly due to my noob state). It was easier when i upgraded to 9.10... but now i got no sound and the touchpad doesn't work. I tried many ways to fix the issue but i give up after 4 days. I'll resintall Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remis and see what happens.

Old January 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Allstar

Another update : Ubuntu netbook remix sucks! The gui is lame. Installed Ubuntu 9.10 (directly, not from easy peasy) and now that's what i was looking for. Cool OS. Everybody sounds compatible and runs smoothly. Gonna try soon to dual boot with back track.

Old January 18, 2010, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

My vote would be for Fedora Linux as a good Linux to play with. Fedora is backed by Redhat, and a new release comes out every 6 months, so you have a good chance that recent hardware will be supported. I wouldn't use it for a server, although some people do, but in my experience it works well and doesn't have that ugly Ubuntu poopy brown GUI theme out of the box. Fedora is far from perfect, as all Linux distros are, but it's pretty good. You can read more about Fedora here: Fedora Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Got a little extra money duying christmas time, decided to buy myself a small ssd (ssd now 40gb) and put it in my Eeepc 1000ha to start playing with linux.

Browsed the forums a little and saw i could install Ubutun, the Asus eee Ubuntu or Slackware/SlackEee.

What are you opinions aobut which OS i could install first and play with?

My priority is using wireless internet easily, considering i'll use it in my university mostly.
Old January 18, 2010, 04:04 PM
Allstar

Might try it another time... using ubuntu 9.10 and very happy with it. And i've got back track to try too.

Thanks for all your feedback

Old January 18, 2010, 04:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you give it a go, please let us know how you make out getting a printer to play nice......

Now that they've mostly resolved the issues they used to have with wireless cards, printers (and scanners I suppose) are the next frontier. I tried to get Ubuntu to play nice with a Brother all-in-one a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare even though linux drivers were provided by the manufacturer.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 18, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
My vote would be for Fedora Linux as a good Linux to play with. Fedora is backed by Redhat, and a new release comes out every 6 months, so you have a good chance that recent hardware will be supported. I wouldn't use it for a server, although some people do, but in my experience it works well and doesn't have that ugly Ubuntu poopy brown GUI theme out of the box. Fedora is far from perfect, as all Linux distros are, but it's pretty good. You can read more about Fedora here: Fedora Project
Fedora? Please.

Its one of the most annoying and frustrating distros for ANYONE to start off on.

Ubuntu is the perfect starting grounds to get your feet wet then branch out to others like slackware, debian or even Gentoo.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you give it a go, please let us know how you make out getting a printer to play nice......

Now that they've mostly resolved the issues they used to have with wireless cards, printers (and scanners I suppose) are the next frontier. I tried to get Ubuntu to play nice with a Brother all-in-one a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare even though linux drivers were provided by the manufacturer.
Check out the CUPS site for printer support.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect

Any linux distro can be frustrating to start off in. I've had good luck with Fedora, and as with all Linux distros, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Fedora? Please.

Its one of the most annoying and frustrating distros for ANYONE to start off on.

Ubuntu is the perfect starting grounds to get your feet wet then branch out to others like slackware, debian or even Gentoo.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Any linux distro can be frustrating to start off in. I've had good luck with Fedora, and as with all Linux distros, YMMV.
Personally.. RPMs are the worst.

Debian made a HUGE leap when they started coming out with package management when slackware was still in its infancy and become on of the main distros to contend with.

Currently Ubuntu is even based off Debian as well as quite a few others.. why? Simplicity.

Redhat which was before Fedora had the utmost horrible system setup for RPMs and left a major sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths and to this day I won't touch a distro based off Redhat/Fedora